YardRight, Southdown, Old Castle

I've read that they are all the same company (maybe I'm wrong) but have changed there name, via being bought out, or merged... my question is that what is now YardRight, I've read that they've discontinued there "Tropical Play Sand" the stuff from the Caribbean. I'm switching from CC to LS, so in a search for the fore mentioned have run into "YardRight White Play Sand". Is this the same stuff and they just changed the name :confused: or is it just another variety of sand that they sell. I have also seen where they put a disclamer on the bag that it's not intended for use in an aquarium. It's not on the "White Play Sand", but they are both "Bright White Color and 100% Natural". Anybody got any input??

ok, I asked an unanswerable question... How bout this one, I picked up some "White House, White Distilled Vinegar", it's from natural grains. If a take a bit of this vinegar and put it in a glass, then I take a bit of this "YardRight White Play Sand" and put it in the glass also, I should get some bubbles like alka seltzer right,. And that's a good thing right??
Sorry, but I never took chemistry in high school.
TIA

cool, thanks for the reply.
I just wish YardRight would update there website or something. I think they just changed "Tropical" to "White" on their bag of play sand.

jeo

If it is bright white and has a fine grain that I can say it looks the same as southdown

Thanks for the response jeo.
My next question is, as far as the vinegar test goes... what is the significanse of the sand makeing bubbles? What's so special about aragonite.
I payed around 3 bucks for the for-mentioned "White Play Sand". So if it's a waste I don't care.
I put a pinch of the sand in a glass with about a jigger of the for-mentioned vinegar. No bubbles.
Like I said before, I'm changing from CC to LS. Currently fish only. I don't know if I will go reef at the moment or FOWLR, but I don't want to do the change the substrate more than once. :help:

P

pas13

Guppy-
Southern States (it's a feed coop) in Manassas, VA, has the Yardright tropical play sand (or at least they did a couple of months ago). They have a website and may have a location closer to you- southernstatesDOTcom. Southern States does carry 2 different kinds of Yardright-- tropical and another (maybe the other one is the one you bought that does not bubble).

Originally Posted by pas13
Guppy-
Southern States (it's a feed coop) in Manassas, VA, has the Yardright tropical play sand (or at least they did a couple of months ago). They have a website and may have a location closer to you- southernstatesDOTcom. Southern States does carry 2 different kinds of Yardright-- tropical and another (maybe the other one is the one you bought that does not bubble).
I went to Southern States. They said that they had the tropical stuff but it got moldy or something and thru it out. I asked if they were going to order some more and was told no. They also said that the Southern States further down the road (28 south past Nokesville) had it and they said no again, but I might just take a ride to see for myself this weekend. Thanks for your responce though.

Can anybody answer my previouse ??

Ok, today I stopped by a local nursery and they didn't have YardRight and the sand that they did have didn't look all to appealing to me. I went to another nursery and found YardRight Tropical Play Sand... yeaaahhhhh
:jumping:
so I got me a bag.
Just for the fun of it I did the vinegar test again with the new sand and I got bubbles bubbles bubbles

thangbom

what soo good about argonite sand?? well argonite acts as a water buffer ... and the vinegar test.. it's more like u take some and and just pour a little bit of vinegar on it.. and if it fizzles then it's argonite sand.. if it dont fizzle then it's not.. gl ..