YAY!!! Gettin' a new 90 gallon!

I was just wondering if anyone would like to give me advice. I am getting my first large fish tank next week, and it was a freshwater. I am emptying it and converting it into (I think) a reef tank. I have had fish tanks for 5 years now, including a 30 gallon saltwater. I had to get rid of them all when I moved, so I'm starting from scratch. I have been doing my research, but I would like some expert opinions :) It's a 90 gallon, and I need to figure out everything, including lighting, filtration and heating. I was wondering wether to do a sump,or a few large HOB filters or both. I don't know the best protein skimmer, I used to work at PetSmart and their supply is limited to a Cyclone 100 if I am correct. In reading reviews on here, it doesn't really sound that good... Which is the best? I'm not sure yet of the lighting the people are giving me with the tank, I'll post that later. How much sand will I need, and live rock? Should I get base rock and fiji? I'm so excited
and I have a million questions! This is a start, any help would be awesome :happyfish

bill109

awesome i just got a 90 for x mas and for me it was kinda cheap cus 3/4 of my mterial came from the old 30 salt.
but setting up a 90 is ... expensiv to say the least.
to find out how much sand you need get the dimensions of your tank.
then click on the live rock live sand button and click on the calculator after giving your tank dimensions and how deep a sand bd you want. it will tell you how many lbs of sand you need.
lets see some pics! lol :jumping:

I will when I get it!!! Next weekend it will be here :) haha its like I'm bringing home a new baby, I'm excited and it will be hard work, long term and expensive! How deep is ideal?

teen

Originally Posted by ShortBlondeRN
I will when I get it!!! Next weekend it will be here :) haha its like I'm bringing home a new baby, I'm excited and it will be hard work, long term and expensive! How deep is ideal?

if you want to run a DSB, 4"- 6" is ideal.

watson3

Originally Posted by bill109
to find out how much sand you need get the dimensions of your tank.
You should go to the nearest 20 above your gallonage..You have a 90, so you need around 100 pounds of sand for a 3-4in bed

Ok, so how about a filter. What do you all use? I really liked my eclipse tank... should I get a sump or use other filtration?

teen

just get a decent amount of flow, a sump, a good amount of live rock and run carbon in the overflow.