YAY!I just found out.

lionfish28

That i dont need a protein skimmer if iam keeping a FOWLR tank!!!Only if you are doing corals.That makes me very happy to hear that:yes: .Now i dont have to worry all the time about getting a skimmer.Well just want to tell you people that,just incase you are/were acting like me.

nm reef

Hmmm...I may be amoung the minority...but its my opinion that a quality skimmer can be a very positive addition to ANY marine system. Sure...marine systems can be run without protien skimmers...but the benefits of a skimmer will help any marine system...even a fish only.:thinking:

lionfish28

Originally posted by Kip4130
and who gave you this profound "insight?"

My LFS(the manager is very smart with fish).And another site i e-mailed

sammyg

Is that the answer you were looking for, Lionfish? I've read many of your posts asking about skimmers. You seemed to be holding out for someone to tell you that you don't need one. Take the majority's advice and get a skimmer. It will benefit the health of your little fishy friends!

dburr

I would think that a FO would need a skimmer more than a reef. FO you have more fish, and more fish = more waste. More waste = dirty water. dirty water = stress/ick.
A reef you keep the fish load down(at least I do). In fact I was skimmerless for 2+ years. The DSB and rock did all the work for me. (and WC's).

lionfish28

well what i found out was that a skimmer ONLY takes out the non-soild waste.(example.Corals dont send out a soild waste.They send out a non-solid waste.)You know,the stuff you cant realy see that good thats in the tank(bad stuff).Well thats what i found out.

lionfish28

Originally posted by SammyG
Is that the answer you were looking for, Lionfish? I've read many of your posts asking about skimmers. You seemed to be holding out for someone to tell you that you don't need one. Take the majority's advice and get a skimmer. It will benefit the health of your little fishy friends!

Well all i did was ask some of you then ask the experts.And some you said the samething as what the experts said.

lionfish28

Originally posted by Kip4130
solid waste... uneaten foods... become dissolved organics

:thinking: You are right:yes: .But then some of these fish experts woud be lieing to me!:notsure: .BAD fish experts.Well the fish experts did say "you dont HAVE too put a skimmer in the tank,consentrate on more LR first.

rwhite

Yes, it may not be essential, but a skimmer would help in the long run, IMO. My nephew has a FOW(very little)LR and runs a skimmer. He has higher levels of nitrates, but hes also carrying a large load and I believe the skimmer is helping do it. JMO, good luck!

mobikobeyob

What's the deal with people always asking "Do I NEED to have a skimmer on my system?". Why cant we just accept it as a piece of necessary equipment. It IS what is needed for a healthy environment so you must have one, unless you would like otherwise.
Ugh. Mobi:D

wrassie86

heck i'm selling 2 skimmers fairly cheap (classifieds)if it's the deal your looking for.
If it were me i would run a skimmer,I had a puffer type tank for awile and would say it's a must have item.You may be good for awile,but i think you will change your mind,and more so depending on how much rock you put in the tank.
What size is the tank and what will be used for filtation-wet/dry,UV ect

T

theeel man

If you are putting in a lot of LR you'll want a skimmer to get rid of the waste that the rock puts out. Mainly sulfer which is bad for the little fishy. If I were U I'd save up and get a good one while you are at it. You can't go wrong having one.

sammyg

Let's just put it this way - I have a Prizm, which is not exactly a high end system, and if you saw the junk it pulls out, you would never go without a skimmer. Imagine pouring a cup of pure putrid sludge into your tank every week and that's the difference between with/without a skimmer.
Just my opinion; I'm no expert.
Sam

van888

Originally posted by lionfish28
:thinking: You are right:yes: .But then some of these fish experts woud be lieing to me!:notsure: .BAD fish experts.Well the fish experts did say "you dont HAVE too put a skimmer in the tank,consentrate on more LR first.

Sounds to me like they wanna sell you LR to put money in their pockets then tell you that you are gonna need a skimmer. Which in the first place you should of had. I just wanna know why if you are gonna spend money on fish and LR wouldn't you protect your investment? It's like playing Russian Roulette.:notsure: I went without a skimmer for 2 months last year and things started to change in my tank for the worst. So get one and you will see the differance.:D