Yellow BTA , real or dyed ?

dawman

I have been in a little discussion on another forum about this . To by belief from what I have read and been told by many long time reefers that there is no yellow anemone in the wild and the "yellow sebae" , "yellow carpets" , "yellow BTAs" on the market are dyed . And that the only yellow in anemones is on the tips of a very few rare specimans . I have been told by a few the total opposite and wanted to see what the more experienced anemone keepers on here think about it .

perfectdark

Well I know I havent seen all of the species of anenomes but, I do believe that its either a dyed anenome or a bleached one that is starting to get its color back.

rod buehle

Originally Posted by Dawman
I have been in a little discussion on another forum about this . To by belief from what I have read and been told by many long time reefers that there is no yellow anemone in the wild and the "yellow sebae" , "yellow carpets" , "yellow BTAs" on the market are dyed . And that the only yellow in anemones is on the tips of a very few rare specimans . I have been told by a few the total opposite and wanted to see what the more experienced anemone keepers on here think about it .
I have never seen a yellow BTA, but I have seen (and have ) other anemones that are yellow(tipped). The guys on that other forum are some of the "more experienced" anemone keepers. You will not find many that have more experience than Phil Henderson (phender)or that are as willing to share their experience as those folk over there. I think a lot of the argument over there stems from word choices and descriptions and everyone is partially correct. Yes, when you see those BRIGHT yellow "sebae" anemones, they are dyed. OTOH, there ARE anemones out there that are yellow. Granted, not as yellow as the dyed "sebae" but they are out there.

reef diver

Absolutely real, my lfs propagates a yellow variety that in each anemone you see a khaki color, mixed with hits of red and green in EACH anemone. These mainly come from Colorado, as it seems the original wild specimen ended up here. Also read about yellow anemones, read the whole thing, the poster Phender is Phil Henderson one of the most experienced people dealing with anemones that we can talk to, and one of the people Joyce Wilkerson used as a resource for her book Clownfishes. Believe me they are NOT dyed, a yellow sebae, IS dyed.
PLease do not post links to other sites its against the board rules

dawman

What evidence ? Like I mentioned there , show me a true yellow nem that is in the ocean and I will take back everything .

dawman

I started this post to hear from well experienced anemone keepers for their opinions as I would like to know the truth. I`ve been told for years that there are none at least that are able to be kept in aquariums . I`ve heard of some carpets showing some yellowish green color , but not a yellow BTA or sabae .

reef diver

YEs there are NO yellow sebaes, do you wanna come to CO and see the LFS Yellow Orange Variety? They are obviously not common, as the general $300 price tag on most yellow/orange BTAs i see indicates, and on that thread on Reef Central, someone, I dunno who, noted that he had Harvested one near Bali.

dawman

Originally Posted by Reef Diver
YEs there are NO yellow sebaes, do you wanna come to CO and see the LFS Yellow Orange Variety?

Sure , I`ll be there on the first plane out !

reefer545

Ive seen bright yellow carpets for sale at a local FS but I had a hard time believeing it was not dyed. They claimed up and down it was natural. I have since seen 3 others at the same place twice and another VERY WELL RESPECTED LFS that claimed the same. IMO we all want them to exist. IMO most of the yellows we see in anemones are not natural, unfortunately. I still have a hard time believing that those that I saw were natural. I am no PRO anemone keeper though. Pretty, but too destructive in a reef, well mine anyways.