Yellow Cucumbers

joojoo

Anyone with experience with these guys? I've never really ever wanted a cuke, but on second thought, I could use a good sand stirrer. I can get it as my free gift with my next order from this site. Are they actually filter feeders? Or are they one of those species that are doomed to be in an aquarium? If they are like a Flame Scallop and require lots and lots of food and will eventually starve, please tell me not to get one...

ophiura

The small bright yellow cuke is NOT a sand sifter, so be sure that you choose one that is.
Also they need a fair amount of surface area of substrate, and can not have curshed coral...need fine sand, so that is a concern if you do not have it.
If it is the filter feeder, then yes, it will need the addition of small particle size foods such as phytoplankton, oyster eggs, etc.

joojoo

I really only want it for its uniqueness and to stir the sand up... Oph, when you say "NOT a sand sifter" do you mean it doesn't STIR sand or eat from it?

joojoo

Never mind, I did a little bit more research and found several sources say they prefer to stay up in the rocks. O well, I don't need a yellow blob walking all over my little 20 gallon.