Yellow Diamond Goby carpet surfing casualty

nflnutswif

Brand new fish took a plunge from his new 125 Gal home. He had no preditors why would he sky dive with out a chute?

kdfrosty

His chute was packed improperly.

It's the nature of many Gobies and Blennys to jump from tide pool to tide pool in the wild.

laust

bummer!! sorry for your loss
i'm picking one of those up today
i'm told if you put some eggcrate over the open top of your tank, will eliminate future suicide attempts

farmboy

What do you all have against glass tops?

--That is a bummer about your fish, sorry.--
I didn't know they did that in the wild. That's wild. :scared:

nflnutswif

I knew they were and or ARE jumpers, But I have a light canopy plus 2 cut sheets of glass that fit across the top on the tank and he still got out. Poor guy. I love them so much character but with this soft sand bed I have he was a dust cloud creator big time! Won't get another one!
P.S. Most don't like the glass tops because it insulates heat!

fishmamma

Even with glass tops most of still have openings. I have used nylon mesh cut to size in the past to cover any gaps and it seems to work quite well. Sorry you lost the little guy, that is just so sad.

kdfrosty

Originally Posted by Farmboy
What do you all have against glass tops?

--That is a bummer about your fish, sorry.--
I didn't know they did that in the wild. That's wild. :scared:
Matt-
Glass tops reduce gas exchange at the surface, causing unstable pH prblems. Besides that, they may decrease evaporation (raising temp), and let your lighting penetrate less.

farmboy

Originally Posted by KDFrosty
Matt-
Glass tops reduce gas exchange at the surface, causing unstable pH prblems. Besides that, they may decrease evaporation (raising temp), and let your lighting penetrate less.
You bring much wisdom and knowlege to the discussion. I must ponder. . .

fishmamma

Do you really think they are that bad? Now you are all making me question my lids. :thinking: My much trusted LFS recommends I use them to protect the lighting from splash and help keep the temp up in the tank. I do remove them during the day in warmer weather to help keep the tank cool but then my light fixture gets totally caked with salt so I have to clean it instead of the glass.

farmboy

That's me, too. KD, do you think those of us with a sump/fuge (without a top) would benefit from that gas exchange and evaporation? I don't have PH problems currently. I have cheato on a reverse light schedule.

jacknjill

ive used glass tops for years! i will never take them off.
Pros: easy to clean salt creep, never have to be replaced, cut WAY down on evaporation, keep fish from jumping out, plus, they look good and protect your lights. you wouldnt want water to splash your lights would you?
Cons:less gas exchange so im told (i have no problems), raises temp (i have halides and a heater and my temp is a comfortable 81 degrees), less light (once again i have halides and vho's, even without the halides i really dont see much of a difference)
i thought about egg crate, but water can still splash, im afraid of it melting, and water will evaporate very quickly. plus, its just plain ugly on a tank.
so, i will never get rid of mine. i left them off for a couple days, and my water level went down an inch a day! WAY too much water for me to keep up with topoffs, plus i have to buy it. i just do a weekly biweekly water change and i am fine.