Yellow discoloration on Silicon

drtash

I recently purchased a brand new 220 gal tank. Within about 3 days the silicon became stained yellow. All the tubing I purchased from the company turned yellow too. The tubing I purchased from Home Depot is clear. The tubing looks like a "strep culture" growing on it.
Suggestions of what it is?

9supratt4

That is really strange!! I know that the silicone on my SCUBA mask turns yellow and there is nothing I can do to stop that...but the silicone used on a tank should not do that. What big company is in Pearl River?? I live close to there and my gf works there.

F

flukes

I use a 25 gallon hex tank as a mixing tank, the silicon seams turn yellow on that but not in my display tank. I use reef crystal and I blame that.

9supratt4

Originally Posted by Flukes
http:///forum/post/3179680
I use a 25 gallon hex tank as a mixing tank, the silicon seams turn yellow on that but not in my display tank. I use reef crystal and I blame that.
Strange...I use Reef Crystals...don'y have that problem.

reefkprz

I use reef crystals and have a 20g mixing tank and the silicone is still clear.
I would be more inclined to think its the type of silicone used rather than a salt mix.

olemiss

This happened to the sump on my one tanks. I use the same model as a sump on another tank and there is no staining. I use instant ocean. Glad it's just in the sump as it is quite unattractive.