yellow gorgonian questions...

gurgle

Does anyone have a yellow(I think it's more orange though) gorgonian & can tell me more about them? I know they need low light, but how much water flow does it need? Should I put a small powerhead near it ,because small debris is starting to collect on it. Also, what is their preferred food? I've been spot feeding it an invert food for corals. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...:notsure:

shoreliner11

You are probably talking about the diodogorgia sp. of gorgonian. It would prefer low light but its not a must for the gorgonian to thrive. If it is in the shade it won't get algae growing on it as easily, so take that into consideration. Also, try to get a fair amount of water movement over it. Otherwise it can get algae on its branches which is not a good thing. Feeding...try some live dt's or maybe liquid life and dose regularly, cyclopeeze also works great, if you have the resources or lfs that has them try and get life rotifiers; not a must but your gorgonian will love it. Good luck
Aaron

gurgle

Thanks Shoreliner11, hey do you also have a coco worm,like in your picture? I have one & he lost his one head, it will regenerate & grow back right , if you know...Again thanks...
:happyfish

shoreliner11

Greatfullreefer- Obviosly gorgonian polyp structure is designed for feeding on smaller zooplankton but studies do show that they also feed on dissolved organics. Some studies have also been done that they possibly feed byabsorbtion as well. All in all the phytoplankton can not hurt. Not just for gorgonians but I try to mimic natural seawater concentrations of phyto, zooplankton, etc as closely as my system will allow. You might be right depending on the gorgonian.
gurgle-I actually don't have the system he was in but it did actually starve to death before the move to my new system. I didn't dose phyto or any filter feeding food regulary which is what I attribute to its death. Often times losing a head could be a sign of stress or if not enough food it will shed a head to attempt to save itself. It will grow back if ample food and good water quality is present. Good luck.
Aaron

drink1297

Garf.org had a recipie for feeding fans, with flake food,water, and I believe some vitamine supplements. They also had a great article about propagating them.