yellow gorgonian?

slomo

HI, i have a yellow gergonian? It has been happy now for 2 weeks, the question is how to i secure it into place, it keeps tipping over

perfectdark

Originally Posted by slomo
http:///forum/post/2529376
HI, i have a yellow gergonian? It has been happy now for 2 weeks, the question is how to i secure it into place, it keeps tipping over

Reef putty works well, or push it down into the sand bed. Dont wedge it in between LR this can damage the outer skin, and can also lead to algea to form on it. Moderate flow blowing across it is recomended.

slomo

Where can i get reef puddy? I like it on top of the rocks, it has the best flow there. I read of some power heads that are magnetic? i may need more flow in the tank. Any suggestions?

perfectdark

Not sure where online you can buy it, my LFS has it stocked. Im sure if you googled it you would find it. Its a green tube with a white center. Im not sure about what type of flow you have in your tank. But I will say that you picked one of the harder species of gorgonian to keep as they are completly nonphotosynthetic. This means that they require frequent spot feedings, they do not contain any symboitic algea so they are suseptable to having algea grow on them. This is one of the reasons to have a power head blowing on it. Also it keeps the water column moving past the coral offering it any particles of food available. If you happen to get any build up on the coral its advisable to lightly brush it off. If left unattended it can cause necrosis to the outter flesh of the coral exposing the endoskeleton which is not good.

N

nonphotosynt

If gorgonian has some base - the widening at the bottom, with some sand or rock attached, then you can glue it in the concavity in the LR.
Super Glue Gel (hardware store kind will work too) or epoxy putty from most online aquarium suppliers. Most LFS also have it - take a look at yours, good chances, that you find it.
It gorgonian doesn't have a base, just stalk, then take a look at fragging gorgonians tutorials (through Google image search, for example). Basically, you will need a piece of LR with a thin hole in it, remove skin from the bottom 1/4" of the gorgonian's bottom, glue it into the hole.
After the glue sets, glue this small piece of rock to the main rockwork, where you like it.
HTH

veni vidi vici

I do believe you can use plumbers epoxy from HD,Manard,Lowes..... i don't know the name of it but I'm sure someone will yell it out.