Yellow Headed

y2j

Has any body got a good way to feed a yellowheaded jawfish? I've had mine for about 2 months. he seems to be doing fine. But he just doesn't seem to git much food, by the time it passes through the Yellow Tang and Maroon Clown. I've tried feeding the Tang his veggies while feeding the others, but he seems to git the best of both worlds.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I had the same problem with the same fish. The solution I came up with is to "hand feed" so to speak. Basically, I use a big suringe to feed. that way you can get the food down to where he is and squirt some in his direction.
Actually, I find this works very well for feeding all my fish. I squirt some food over at the agressive fish to keep them occupied then quickly squirt food at the poor guys who usually have to hang around waiting for leftovers. That way, everyone gets their fair share! Another benefit to this is that you can control how much food is being put into your aquarium, thus avoiding the usual sinking food that settles into the substrate of your aquaruim to pollute. Rather than dumping a dose of food into the water, I squirt small amts over the course of an evening, leting the fish eat over a longer period of time [which is more natural to them.]

the rock

the rock says....
rr, again with the golden head, last time it was some other blenny you got mixed up, the golden headed sleeper goby is different from the jawfish, but anyhow....you are still the man, the jawfish should feel comfortable enough to leave his hideaway and actually come up for the food, he must be awfully fearful of something in your tank if he is not coming out of his hole to eat. jawfish will eat just about anything that comes across their hole and once they get a taste of it they should be pretty confident in coming out for it. brine or flake will work fine for the jawfish. there should be enough left over if you have powerheads to blow some down his way if he doesn't feel like coming out of his hole.