Yellow Leather coral

clayton

I just purchased a yellow leather coral from a new LFS i found, sarcophytum I think. I have two ordinary sarcophytum already but this one is BRIGHT yellow - not the polyps (well maybe - they havnt come out yet), but the whole body. I cannot find anything on the web about them. Has anybody seen or know anything about them.
As a scary afterthought - has anyone heard of artificial colouring in these corals???!!!!

clayton

Thank Greg but I meant sarcophyton as opposed to lobophyton/um - whatever. I know about sarcophyton trocheliophorum but think this may be a different species or a sub-species. They key point is the bright yellow colouration of this specimen as opposed to the beige colour of the majority of specimens seen.
Thanks anyway
Originally posted by sammystingray:
The name is sarcophyton. sarkos is Greek for flesh, and phyton is Greek for creature!! How do I know this? Go to this link and go to their link on the bottom. hope this helps.
-GREG- http://customer.unitelc.com/emcreef/Leather.html

clayton

Hey cool sammy. Sarcophyton elegans looks like the one!!! Thanks.
If you like a challenge try my post 'amazing crab'

kmatysek

Yes, sarcophyton elegans. There's one on the cover of Sprung & Delbeek's Vol. 2. We have one - it was one of the first corals we purchased and it's doing marvelously. Assuming that's what it is, you don't need to worry about artifical coloring.
Sprung & Delbeek indicated it's a relatively 'new' species to the aquarium trade. The polyps don't get as long as with other sarcophytons (which is nice because otherwise it would diminish its striking color). They also say that it's the only sarcophyton not recommended for beginners, but we're beginners and have done fine with ours for 6 months - even propogated it (it had a small growth from the base that was in shadow).
Lots of light - we have ours right near the top of the tank and it's thriving.