Yellow Pagoda Cup placement?

striker

When I first introduced this coral into my tank it was bright yellow but has since began turning tan. I've tried different spots to place it but was wondering whether it it will be happier closer to the lights on top or on the substrate? How about water current? thanks, frank.

reefgirl

Well, I hate to break it to you, but Turbinaria sp. aka Pagoda don't come in bright yellow. Those that are available in yellow are dyed. It's an unfortunate trend right now that the transhippers and some LFS are dying certain corals. To me it's just WRONG to dye a coral. If you run across a bright pink colt coral for example, it is dyed. You are lucky in that your pagoda survived. It's now returning to the natural and HEALTHY color.
Sorry to be a bummer..
RG. :)

are you sure, Were did you get that info? My yellow progoda stayed yellow for 6 months. I've never heard of dying corals. But I would belive it. I've seen worse done to fish.

reefgirl

CoralTrapper,
Here is a link to ONE dyed coral post over at
"Rules of this board prohibit the posting of links to competing boards"
If you can't view it, please let me know.
It's common knowledge for anyone really into corals that some ARE coming in dyed - it's pathetic that it's done. The zooxanthellae algae required to survive can be blocked by the dye.
Some dyed corals die...others return to their normal color eventually.
What really stinks is that some LFS or online dealers charge really HIGH prices for these "unusally colored" corals.
RG. :)

striker

Even after several months of being in this hobby I'm still shocked by some of the things I learn. I suspected it had been dyed but wasn't sure. It was so bright and yellow when it arrived I thought it was a steal for the price I paid. Now that it's detoriated I'm pretty upset and discouraged. Another coral I'm upset about is the flower pot. I bought it for 10.00 and it's gorgeous. Now after a month I've read several articles about how they are almost certain to die in captivity. It's a shame some in this business/hobby only think about profit. Especialy when it comes to living things as beautiful as corals and sw fish.

ironreef

Most are hardy and easy to keep.= Turbinaria =Pagoda coral. Lighting can very so can water flow= medium to high depending on the coral. i ve seen them very yellow but most I've seen are yellow brown. I doubt they can be dyed. That is common with softies ....but I dunno never seen dyed hard corals yet???

galina

I was pretty surprised when I read about the dyeing of corals as well. Definetly not a good thing and I hope that fad fades out. Do any you know which other soft corals are sometimes dyed? Just curious.. I'm going to go read up some more on this topic.
Galina

nasotang00

YES, one of these species is commonly dyed yellow.
Reniformis : this coral is shaped like a scroll and is commonly called the scroll coral. this coral is naturally dark mustard to bright yellow.

Patula : this coral is shaped more like a flat disk and known as pagota and is naturally dark tan to a teal green color.