yellow string anemones

chiply

I have a 125 reef tank and there are some what I call yellow string anemone. I do not know if that is correct. They are on the live rock and on the sand. I was wondering if anyone knows about them? Are they good or bad? If bad is there a fish or anything that eats them? Or are they OK and just don't worry about it?

errattiq

Do they Look like this:

or this:

If its the 1st picture, then those are called yellow zooanthids. Not something to be worried about, but something to be happy about lol. It would seem you got a free coral from somewhere.
If it is picture number 2, then you have Aiptasia anemones. These are not so good. They are known to spread quickly and do great damage to surrounding corals and I've even heard stories of some larger ones killing livestock. I personally use Aiptasia X to rid them, just squirt a little on their mouth and it kills them.
If its neither picture, your best bet would be to get a picture up of some sort of what you're talking about. Hope this helped.
-josh

chiply

They are not like any of them. the strings are very fine and much to small to photograph. But I will give it a try

chiply

That is what I thought . There are literaly hundreds of them. Nothing seems to be eating them. does anyone think they will become a problem?

saber174

I know this post is from a few years ago but I now have this same stuff growing through my tank. Does anyone know what this is? I tried and could not get a better picture than this.

dirk_brijs

The spaghetti worm is a segmented worm, a marine relative of the earthworm and a member of the Phylum Annelida. Like other
segmented worms, a spaghetti worm has a long, cylindrical body that is divided into many similar sections called segments. Some structures, like muscles, kidneys, and nerves are repeated in each segment. The spaghetti worm is classified as a polychaete or bristle worm because it has small bristles called setae along the sides of its
body. The setae are usually part of the parapodia, paired appendages on each body segment. In more active worms, parapodia are used for crawling; in the spaghetti worm, they are used to hold on to, and move up and down inside a tube. This worm’s segmented body is hidden within a crevice or under rocks and only the long white spaghetti-like tentacles extend from the head to gather food. Spaghetti worms do not generally leave their tube or reef crevices and not highly mobile – they belong to the group of polychaetes called sedentary worms
The hidden body of the worm is 5 to 6 inch long and about 1 inch thick. Within the shelter of the rocks or reef, it constructs a tube from sand and gravel which it cements together with a mucus-like secretion from a collar-shaped gland just below the tentacles. A tangle of red
gill filaments is located just behind the feeding tentacles.
The tentacles (about 1/4 inch wide) extend from the head end of the worm and may spread as much as 3 feet over the reef or tide pool floor. Each elastic tentacle is grooved and, in cross-section, looks something like a rain gutter. The tentacle groove is lined with hair-like cilia that help collect and convey food to the mouth of this suspension-feeding worm. Organic particles that drop on the tentacles are carried down the groove and to the hidden mouth. Larger food particles are lassoed by the elastic tentacles and dragged to the mouth. The elastic tentacles can be withdrawn when disturbed and will regenerate if broken or eaten by predators. A large proportion of the blue-stripe butterflyfish's diet is made up spaghetti worm tentacles.