yellow tang..big problem

jeepgirl

I have a 38 gallon saltwater tank. I have in it 4 damsels, A puffer(small), and a coral cat. I had a yellow tang . The problem is.. one of the fish ate its eyes. The eyes were completely gone.Can anyone tell me which monster fish did this to my helpless Tang.. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

col

I take it the tang is dead.
Dead fishes eyes are a delicacy for other fish!!!

silkks11

I'd get a bigger tank than that 38 to hold a tang again before I'd try another, and upgrade b/c u do have a coral cat and a puffer

javajoe

yeah, a yellow tang would be much happier in a tank at least 75 gallons. i had a few that i tried to keep in my 55, and they got stressed and died-- they need a lot of space to swim around in, even the small ones.

bang guy

I have no doubt that a Puffer would eat the eyes of a Tang, dead or alive it wouldn't make much difference.

jeepgirl

sorry to inform you. The tang was very much alive when its eyes were eaten. It was still swimming around. I am thinking of getting a bigger tank just for tangs after this experience

S

starfishjackedme

Another tale of negligence and the tang that bit the dust because he was put in an aquarium that was WAY TOO SMALL.

jeepgirl

I do not think I am negligent at all. The tang has ben in there for months with the puffer. The lfs said the tang could stay in the tank for a year or so. So please tell me how I was wrong?

jake22

First off the tang and puffer should not be in a tank that size. The coral cat will get very big and also outgrow that tank. I suggest taking the puffer and coral cat back to your lfs along with maybe 3 of the damsels, unless you like the damsels alot. This will alllow you to have more room for fish that could actually live in a tank that size. There are many books out there that can help you figure out what fish is right for tank.

slick

You have way to many fish in your tank. Nuff said. What are your water readings. And be honest.

jake22

Just curios what tangs have you kept in wich size tanks and for how many years? What size where they when they were bought and when they died are if there still alive how big are they?

Ok, before this starts again, this is a classic case of a bad lfs. Lfs will say anything to get you to buy from them. No, a tang should not be put in anything smaller than a 55 gallon. And I feel real bad for you for what happened to your tang. But please, read up and do some research before getting your fish. Lfs do this to us all, selling us bad products and bad advice, and you seem to be a victim. So let's leave it at that. Once again, truly sorry for your loss. :(

S

starfishjackedme

jeepgirl-
I'm not ragging on you, it's just a case too typical in this hobby. The LFS sells you a tank and trys to unload as much livestock on you as possible not caring about the organisms survival. :( There have been many heated discussions on this board resulting in flame wars over the size of a tank required for a YT or any tang in general. Any instance of a dead tang bc of overstocking a small tank just stirs it up again. Sorry if you thought we were being rude. It's just we care about these animals and try to provide the best environment for them to thrive in, not just survive. Tangs need a LOT of swimming room. A 55gal is the absolute minimum IMO, and that is too small honestly. ;)