yellow tang ick!

gohome

i saw 3 white dots on my yello tang today it looks alot like ick should i do enythign about it ? and its been in my tank for about 3 months. but i recently added some hermits adn i added the water from my lfs into the tank.

madman133

The water that you added may be the problem depending on the shop. Put him in qt if you have 1 and watch him from there.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by gohome
i saw 3 white dots on my yello tang today it looks alot like ick should i do enythign about it ? and its been in my tank for about 3 months. but i recently added some hermits adn i added the water from my lfs into the tank.
Was it the water from their tank? or water that they premixed? Should check all your levels. Feed it high quality foods like formula 2 with added garlic. Should look into disease & treatment! IF your going to treat it, best to remove it into a QT tank and do hypo treatment. Good Luck! :happyfish

gohome

yes it was from their tank. all levels are good the specs got a lil more and pigger
what should i do!!!!! i added some quick cure today hope it works. would a freshwater bath do enything?

mikeyjer

yes it was from their tank. all levels are good the specs got a lil more and pigger
what should i do!!!!! i added some quick cure today hope it works. would a freshwater bath do enything?
You should NEVER add any meds to your main tank. You will kill your bacterial growth in your filter plus your sand & any Live Rock you may have. IF I remember right, Quick Cure has malachite green in it. IT CAN kill your inverts!!! I know a lot of them saying that it's safe with inverts, but it's NOT! I learned it the hard way when I first started. It KILLED my inverts! If you want to treat it, best to remove it to a QT tank to treat with meds. Hypo is a much better way to do without meds. IMO, I would start feeding with formula 2, it contains garlic, it works great for me. It usually takes around a week for the ich to completely go away. IF I were you, I would run carbon in your filter right now to get Quick Cure out of your system and do a large water change like around 20-25%. :happyfish

hot883

ok so just feedin it formula 2 wil take ick away?
No, the formula 2 with added garlic will boost the immune system to an extent. THE ONLY cure for ICH is Hyposalinity or Copper. Both (1 or the other) need to be done in a QT. The so called kick ick miracles in a bottle will not do. The QT will have to be for like 6 WEEKS. Go to the disease thread and it has more info. on it. Good luck.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by hot883
No, the formula 2 with added garlic will boost the immune system to an extent. THE ONLY cure for ICH is Hyposalinity or Copper. Both (1 or the other) need to be done in a QT. The so called kick ick miracles in a bottle will not do. The QT will have to be for like 6 WEEKS. Go to the disease thread and it has more info. on it. Good luck.
Yes formula 2 will boost immune system. But a lot of folks have great luck using it to rid ich. It took mine about a week to go away by feeding formula 2. But by doing hypo will work wonders too. It needs to be done in a QT tank like this one has mentioned! It's really up to you to see what works best for you. Good Luck! :happyfish

moorish i

You might want to read the back of the rid ick bottle before using, I belive that it will kill off any bacteria you have on the live rock. I know its not a instant cure but iv had good luck with uv filters

gohome

ok now when i first turned on the lights he had a hole bunch of them! but now i only about one speck. and the others are almost microscopic on his fins. will a cleaner shrimp or a cleaner wrASSE DO THE JOB?

mikeyjer

ok now when i first turned on the lights he had a hole bunch of them! but now i only about one speck. and the others are almost microscopic on his fins. will a cleaner shrimp or a cleaner wrASSE DO THE JOB?
Some people say they work, but IMO they don't work one bit. Best to do either hypo or meds. IMO, I would try formula 2 first if you don't want to catch him and put him into QT tank. Formula 2 works for me, it goes away after a week of feeding. I feed it twice a day, you need to feed tangs more anyway. No other foods but formula 2, that's the way I did it and after it goes away, that's when I offer other foods. Good Luck! :happyfish

mikeyjer

ok so all i gotta do is buy formula 2 and my yellow tang will be fine?? even if i feed once a day?
NO! You need to feed tangs more then once per day in small amounts!!!! I feed mine at least two to three times per day depending on if I get home in the afternoon to feed extra time. I feed once in the morning and once at night when I get home. After the ich goes away, you need to feed algae strips at least once per day. I feed algae strips in the morning and feed formula 2 at night. Good Luck! :happyfish