Yellow tang in 55g?

tigerbarb

Hello. I was wondering, what size tank would you reccommend for a yellow tang?
I was sort of wanting a yellow tang for my 55g. I do know that a while back, it was considered acceptable to keep a yellow tang in a 50g aquarium, and yellow tangs would live a good long while in captivity. Now, people will tell you that the yellow tang demands a system of atleast 100 gallons. Will a yellow tang die prematurely if it is kept in a 55g tank?
Thanks,
Tigerbarb

nicetry

It's a heated topic. IMO/IME, long term a 55 is not able to provde the necessary swimming room for such an active fish. If the fish is a small specimen, it would be fine for a couple of years, but to maintain optimal health, and assure normal growth rates, a longer tank would be in order. I won't keep one in my 5 foot 120, believing they require a lot of lateral swimming rom as they mature. A lot of folks will defend the position that such a fish will be fine in a 55. Most experienced hobbyists, however, will not.

tigerbarb

Originally Posted by nicetry
http:///forum/post/3028061
It's a heated topic. IMO/IME, long term a 55 is not able to provde the necessary swimming room for such an active fish. If the fish is a small specimen, it would be fine for a couple of years, but to maintain optimal health, and assure normal growth rates, a longer tank would be in order. I won't keep one in my 5 foot 120, believing they require a lot of lateral swimming rom as they mature. A lot of folks will defend the position that such a fish will be fine in a 55. Most experienced hobbyists, however, will not.
Okay, thanks for your reply.

latinlord

Originally Posted by Tigerbarb
http:///forum/post/3028047
Hello. I was wondering, what size tank would you reccommend for a yellow tang?
I was sort of wanting a yellow tang for my 55g. I do know that a while back, it was considered acceptable to keep a yellow tang in a 50g aquarium, and yellow tangs would live a good long while in captivity. Now, people will tell you that the yellow tang demands a system of atleast 100 gallons. Will a yellow tang die prematurely if it is kept in a 55g tank?
Thanks,
Tigerbarb
I think your fine getting the really small yellows... once it gets too big.. you could give it to someone else with a bigger tank.. or sell it.. if you want one.. get one... But like the above poster said... not too big..

nycbob

i think its ok if u start one off thats about 1-2 inches. who knows whats gonna happen 2-3 years down the road. enjoy it now. u might get tire of it after 6 months and return it anyway.

florida joe

I would rather see a yellow in a 55-gallon tank maintained by a conscientious hobbyist then in a much larger tank by a less dedicated one