yellow tang killed my copperbanded BF

puffer9006

i bought a new copperbaned BF. i was in the fish store for an hour picking out the right fish. it was eating at the store and to my surprise 10 minutes after i put him in my tank he ate frozen food that i had put in for the other fish, i was so happy till my yellow tang started beating it up
. i couldnt believe it. we chased the yellow tang around for 2 hours trying to get him out but with no luck. i had to go to work and i came back and the copperbanded was beat up and dying and the next day i found him died.
ive never heard of this before. has anybody seen this before cuz i really want to get a copperbanded. any sugestion on how to get the tang out or to get them to get along.

jonthefishguy

Yellow tangs are known for their territorial behavior and tendancy to stress and most times kill others in the tank. I have witnessed this time and time again. Use a fish trap to catch him or next time turn out the lights when adding the new fish and leave them off till the next day or feed at the same time that you are adding the new fish or add more than one fish at a time. All these are ways help to deter but are not always a sucess. Flip a coin.

nicetry

I agree. Established yellow tangs are terrors to new fish, particularly those with similar body shape. IMO, if you really want the butterfly, remove the tang first. You can re-introduce it after the bf is settled in, or simply forego the tang altogether. YT's often become nasty to even established fish.

seamandrew

Wow, I always thought yellow tangs were of a more sunny disposition. Who would have thought. Dude, sorry you lost your copperband. I love mine so I know how you must feel!

hefner413

I had a YT - was on eof the first fish added. It got along great with the first fish that went in with it - the 2 clowns, a damsel, and a goby. But later on I started to add new fish - first a henniochus, the YT beat on him, so I removed him. Then a CB, so I removed him. I finally took him back to the LFS. I've now got a new CB, doing great... and move fish will be added slowly. But the YT, if added again, will be the LAST fish to go in.
A question: has anyone added a YT last that ended up being a bully in the end, none the less? Or have most of you had good luck by adding them last?

pastor b.

Dear hobbyist , My yellow tang was in the same aquarium with my copper band butterfly and killed it .
I don't know why . But I've learned that the copper band is a docile fish,and that the yellow tang is an aggressive fish .However , if you want a yellow tang , place it in your aquarium as the last fish .But as it matures ,it will still become an aggressive fish . If you want to remove a yt from your aquarium ,turn off your lights for an hour or two,then net it quickly . Have fun

saltymac

Ive had a YT and a sailfin (oops) together for about 2 yrs. The first day, I thought I made a mistake, but since then they are like peas and carrots. I recently added a yellow gobie.......the one with the frown....neways "BIGBIRD" as we call him was going insane to kill the gobie. The only reason I could think of was he was yellow also........bodie shapes arent even close. The gobie now resides in the fuge. To press my luck even further, I added a gold rim tang about a week ago. The YT will chase him for a few inches, every now and then, but not go out of his way to do it like he was doing for the gobie.....crazy...you just never know. Good luck.

puffer9006

thanks for your input. i think i want to get rid of my yellow tang give him to a friend. i didnt think it would be a problem because at one time i had a sailfin tang in thier also and they never fought with eachother. but i dont know ill try again when i get him out.