Yellow tang (pictures)! Please help

magic

hey guys, I've had this tang for about 3 months. He's been in hypo for about two months and I've ran copper on him. I'm well practiced in dealing with icy and velvet, but this is something different that I've never come across. If anyone can help me figure out what's going on and tell me how to treat it, I would be eternally greatful.

lmforbis

THat is black ich. It is a kind of worm, turbellarian flatworms. The treatment is prazi pro. Follow the directions exactly. Pretty common in yellow tangs.

lmforbis

I had a yellow tang that had a similar history. I was treating with hypo for ich, I got him at ***** so ich was a given. Spent weeks in hypo before the black spots started. It took quite a while to get better. Two prazi pro treatments.

magic

Perfect! Thanks for the info! I've never even heard of black ich. He's acting fine but as you can see, he's pretty covered. Hope he can hold out till I can get the order in. In the mean time I will start bringing him out of hypo. Thanks again!

magic

Black Ich. However, its best not to remove handle any fish into a dry net such as that, particularly a sick fish. Be sure to disinfect that net.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/c/index.php/articles/content/103

https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/c/index.php/articles/content/102
Yeah I hated to net him, but I was not having any luck in getting a photo that showed the disease. I guess I'm just not good at photography. Question, if I treat him with a formalin bath, and then return him to the QT, how do I insure it's eradicated if the tank is not treated?

lmforbis

Prazipro is supposed to be reef safe although I wouldn't use it in my reef. I was fortunate that my yellow was already in QT.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It will kill worms. Worms are a vital component of reef systems, and even a live rock system where natural filtration is heavily used. I wouldn't use except in a QT.

lmforbis

I wouldnt either.

Beth do you know how long it takes the tubellarian worms to die off in the tank when there are no fish present. I've only dealt with them in a fish that was already in QT and he'd never been in my DT.

magic

Just thought I would give an update. The yellow tang is free of black ich. He's been much happier and swimming all around the QT tank. I've treated the tank a 2nd time to insure the life cycle is disrupted. After that treatment is over I will do a 2nd large water change and then watch him for about a month to make sure he is totally clear. No fish go into my main tank until I'm 100% certain.
Thanks so much guys for your knowledge and help. I've learned something from it. Best wishes!

florida joe

I have used Prazipro in my reef tank with no ill effects as far as worms what are we talking about Spaghetti Worms and

Baby Bristle Worms as being beneficial I can live without them my feather duster has shown no ill effects from the treatment. A good cleanup crew without worms will do the job. getting rid of worms may in fact we in your best interest

Last edited:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldnt either.

Beth do you know how long it takes the tubellarian worms to die off in the tank when there are no fish present. I've only dealt with them in a fish that was already in QT and he'd never been in my DT.
Late to respond to this....life cycle is about the same as Cryptocaryon irritans with a 3 stage life cycle. However, they can supposedly live in the substrate and feed off detris.

Last edited: