Yellow Tang PLEASE HELP!

souljah

My yellow tang is small. About 2 inches.
His coloring is fine on his body but I noticed around his face theres a couple of reddened rashy areas around his eyes and snout,not too noticable but they are there. It appears that the yellow on his face is fading away and becoming transparent almost kinda turning into white and red where the yellow used to be. He doesnt look sick at all, just lost quite a bit of yellow coloring in his facial area. Is he sick? He swims around good and eats like a pig. I was wondering if this is something I should be concerned about. By the way, I have a 12 gallon tank with my 2 inch yellow tang, and 1 inch clown, three 1 inch damsels, and 1 inch strawberry gamma...is my tank overstocked?
help me out, I'm a beginner

nasukan

When you said 12 did you mean 120 if not your tang should not be in anything smaller than a 29 rectangular(and that is almost inhumane) or 46 bowfront being only two inches long. As it grows it will need at least a 75 to thrive. Some will only put a tang in a tank six feet long. If it is 12 thats your problem. Get a bigger tank or get rid of the tang and the damsels. Three damsels in a tank that small and overcrowded will kill everything including each other. I'm not trying to flame you, but you need to upgrade to keep any of your fish happy.

peasly1

the tang should be moved to a larger tank,the discoloring thing could be lack of greens to eat,try putting a leaf of romaine lettuce in there..stress is always a concern

Is romaine good for the fish. I have seaweed for my tang that I got from a fish store. On the package it says that It has no romaine as if it is bad for the fish.
[ November 30, 2001: Message edited by: just_got_tanked ]

H

here fishy

The tang needs to be out of that tank as it is way too small. If you keep him feed him the dried seaweed attached to a clip or tied to a rock. frozen lifeline (Green one) works great for tangs as well. Happy Hokiday Season

ebeckels

definitely remove the tang or get a bigger tank...I would defintely NOT feed your tang romaine lettuce... that is not found in the oceans of hawaii and wherever else tangs are found...stick with the seaweed...I've also used a frozen food made for algae eaters like tangs...give that a shot too. hope he feels better

peasly1

romaine lettuce is perfectly fine to feed many fish it contains vitamins that some try to get by adding liquid additives..I have used romaine for years particurly for my yellow tang and batfish..they cant seem to get enough..This form of feeding has also been suggested from many for a long time and have never heard of anyone say or think otherwise...if so I would like to hear why and not because it doesnt come from hawaii..seaweed is great too if you can get them to eat it..formula 2 is also a very popular form of frozen greens and vitamins

krazzydart

First of all..... If you indeed said a 12 gallon tank it is to damn small for pretty much everything you have!!!! unless you were going with a minnie reef!!!! but anywhaaaayyyy?????? If you have the $$$$ get a bigger system.... and you should also know that a tang should be the last fish put into the tank..... as they get pretty mean.....but being only a small juvinile he should be o.k. to put into a bigger tank....
ALSO>>>>READ<<<<<<<READ>>>>>>READ<<<<< books on KEEPING AN AQUARIUM.....
what type set-up do you have??LIGHTING??FILTRATION??LIVE ROCK OR NOT?? What else do you want in this tank??????? DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!!!!!
As for the Lettuce thing!!! BE SURE to WASH it well before feeding and Soak it with a supplemental vitamin!!!! THE SEAWEED (calarpa)is better,,, if you can get it... they love the grape, and feather!!!!
SORRY to seem so harsh!!!! BUT if you want to do this HOBBY you need to study, and it is not cheap.... so save up and be patient!! Buy in order (do not get the mean ones first) Your 12 gallon would probally be o.k. for a "Q" tank....
GOOD LUCK!!!

I have a question about the use of my seaweed. I hate having to clip it onto the side of the tank. Is there another way to feed them seaweed. Or anything else for that matter.

fishfreek

yes, you can rubber band seaweed selects to a small piece of LR rubble and set it on the bottom. Eigher way works well.

flamehawk

Need to upgrade to atleast a 55g for your tang. 12 gallon tank is way too small for just about everything in your tank. Agree w/ previous post on getting educated on the hobby before you proceed.
If you keep the tang , in a larger tank of couse, find your neerest chinese grocery store and get Nori. Put it on a lettuce clip, enopught o last all day. Good luck.

louny

Water quality is bad and i just crumble the freeze dried seaweed in my hand and throw it in. my yellow tang gobbles it right up.good luck

fishlvr13

I have the same problem with my yellow tang right now that i'm trying to cure but someone suggested to me that you give it dry seaweed soaked in garlic, because it is good for the immune system.