Yellow tang question. Quarantine

dingus890

Hello all.
I just got my first yellow tang in the mail yesterday.He is about 3.5 inches. I put him in my 10 gallon that is 2 years old(I know I can't stand it either) for the night as my new 90 gallon is not ready for him yet.He IS eating enhanced spirulina and formula 2 flakes. Getting Nori seaweed tomorrow for him.
I am planning on moving him to my 25 gallon reef for a short time, that has been running for a year, my question is will he be alright for a week or two for quarantine? There will be no other fish in the tank when I move him to it.
Thank you all for your help.

ps. The supplier of the fish was suppost to ship in two weeks like I requested,& SURPRISE the fedex box shows up at my door yesterday.

I was SO MAD!!!
Glad I atleast had the 10 gallon up and running for him.

adurost

I am using a 10G QT for my 4" Yellow Tang right now. Obviously not the ideal size tank for a fish that size, but all I had at the time too. Using your 25G is definitely a better option, BUT if you have to treat the YT during QT you run the risk of killing the inverts in your reef tank. Best best would be to move the LR from the 25G to the 10G (or a rubbermaid tub with a powerhead), and give the YT have a bare 25G QT for 21 days minimum.

jackri

If he needs to be treated, you'd have to take him out of your reef anyways, so might as well leave him in the 10g for now IMO.