yellow tang vs blue hippo tang

mjm889

i am looking to add a blue hippo tang to my 135 gallon tank. i have lots of rockwork for hiding places. the yellow tang has been in there for 3 years. do you see any problems with the two of them fighting

ladyreefseeker

Administrator
Staff member
You shouldn't have a problem. I keep both together in my 120 gallon. They never fight. They share algae and work together to break it up into smaller pieces.

kylev

Quote:
Originally Posted by levinjac http:///forum/thread/381137/yellow-tang-vs-blue-hippo-tang#post_3318911
he only has the one but he wants to get a hippo
I understand, but I'm asking how big the yellow is and how big of a hippo is he going to get? Cause I'd figure after 3 yrs the yellow needs to be decent size and for the hippo to have good odds of hanging in he shouldnt be small. Plus wouldnt the yellow tang be pretty territorial after all that time?

mjm889

the tang is about 4 inches and he is in there with two clowns in a 135gallon, i added 3 green chormis 3 weeks ago and was fine with them, i would like to get a small blue hippo if possible, i like watching them grow,i am hoping the shape difference in the two tangs will help, any thoughts

kylev

IMO you should be ok, you just might need to re-arrange some rockwork, but I'm not an expert

levinjac

he Should be ok but he might not you just need to monitor after you add it buy a smaller sized hippo tho smaller than 4 inches

levinjac

wait they have a low survival rate i dunno your supposed to add a smaller hippo than the yellow but if you did it might not survive

btldreef

Hippo Tang's under 3" have a terribly low survival rate, especially placed in a large tank with another tang.
If you're set on getting a hippo in this tank and to keep down aggression, I would get a 4"+ Hippo.

srfisher17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/381137/yellow-tang-vs-blue-hippo-tang#post_3318997
Hippo Tang's under 3" have a terribly low survival rate, especially placed in a large tank with another tang.
If you're set on getting a hippo in this tank and to keep down aggression, I would get a 4"+ Hippo.
I agree; avoid small Hippos. There may be some pecking order squabbles; but they should be fine. These are possibly the most common tangs to keep together.

sean48183

Had a sailfin for 3 years and added a small hippo. No problems. Year later added Naso. No problems. All three have been together about 2 years now and are fine. Should not be a problem. If you were adding another yellow or sailfin maybe but different shape tang no sweat.