yellow tang

hogg14

They are known for their propensity to get ich more than most other fish. But this is a result of not understanding the requirements for the yellow tang

bergamer

what are the requirements?
i had a naso that caught ictch then hlle and died and i would rather avoid this outcome

capt.lunch

The number one and most important precaution is to QT him and wait to make sure he is Ich free before you intoduce him into your display tank. If your main tank is Ich free then he should stay Ich free. Unless later you bring something else in and infect your display tank. Thats why you never put a fish straight into your main tank. QT always.

scubadoo

To keep a healthy tang and avoid HLLE as well as ich (some feel the true cause of HLLE is unknown)...
Diet...plenty "greens" from the sea...seawwed sheets, macroalgae, etc, etc
Remove stray voltage from tank.....ground probe and removal of "faulty" equipment.
Supplemnt feeding with vitamins.
Maintain water quality.
In my opinion, tangs get ich because of one or all of the above present.....with one additional cause...placing them in a tank that is too small. THey love to open up and swim freely. I beleive juveniles can adapt to a slighlty smaller tank...but any tang that is not a juvenile will stress and get sick if the tank is too small.
In my opinion, a QT tank should be big enough to house the animal comfortably. Qting a tang is only one step in prevention. Just my opinion.

scubadoo

Bergammer....remember that placing a fish in your tank that has parasites is only one way to introduce parasites to the display tank. Given the various stages if ich...you could possibly introduce ich/parasites via live rock, corals, live sand, etc. QT a fish yes....but you have to also concetrate on water parameters, diet, etc. , etc. JMO

bergamer

assuming my main tank as various stages of ich in it!
Reading beths forum on ich, if none of my fish in my tank catch any inch, then they should all die off in a few weeks? the ich i mean
I just transfered from a 70 gallon to a 90 gallon on sunday, but otherwise my tank is about 8 months old. I used all the same water. ( plus some I picked up at the lfs)
I have 90 lbs od live sand and 60lbs of live rock.
so far, all my levels are good
ph 8.3
alk 8.0
cal 360
nitrate 20ppm (hoping to get this back down to zero)
nitrite 0
I am avoiding any large tangs bc my tank is not lrage enough
48x24H x18
it is my understanding that the yellow tang does fine in a 48" tank?
So therefore, assuming my tank has no ich, I just need to QT a yellow tang and keep him well fed on sushi sheets and some vitamine (if you have any recommendations it would be helpful)
and he should do fine?
all my equipment is fine, although I do need to buy a grounding probe