yellow tang

E

exile415

I am looking foward to get a yellow tang for my 50g.
The fish I have are:
-goldenhead sleeper goby
-firefish goby
-scisscortail goby
-clarkii clown
-orange skunk clown

norcal

all of those fish are pretty small, not to much for your bio-load, so i would say it should be ok. i dont think it would cause a waste overload in your tank. also, since he is the last one in that should cut down on how territorial he is. the one problem i see is the tank might not be large enough. I have heard tangs need 75 or bigger cuz they need a lot of space to swim. maybe someone else who has more experience with yellow tangs knows if a 50 is ok for one? hey exile, i have a Q for you actually. i need some live rock and earlier you told me it was cheap at 6th ave aq. how much is it exactly and do they have some nice stuff or is it junk. any corraline growing on it?? thanks

dhughesz28

In my opinion AND experience, a 50gal tank that already has 5 fish in it is way to small. A juvenile yellow tang might be ok in a tank that size by itself, but defiantly not with 5 other fish. Not only are you pushing your bio-load, but also your tang will be stressed and will be more susceptible to Ick and or HLLE. Tangs are swimmers and need space, they won’t be very happy at all in cramped tanks

tomclx

I have a 40 gallon ,and I have had a yellow tang for about 7 months, and it is doing great. I have 2 clarki clowns, a yellow tang, a mndaring fish, and 2 skunk cleaners. Tank has been doing great. I have had the tank up and running for a bout a year. Yellow tangs need room to swim, however will do fine if in a 50 gallon. I would only go with one tang. They also tend to have a diet high in algae as well as frozen brine.

Originally Posted by dhughesz28
In my opinion AND experience, a 50gal tank that already has 5 fish in it is way to small. A juvenile yellow tang might be ok in a tank that size by itself, but defiantly not with 5 other fish. Not only are you pushing your bio-load, but also your tang will be stressed and will be more susceptible to Ick and or HLLE. Tangs are swimmers and need space, they won’t be very happy at all in cramped tanks
are u kidding? his bioload is nothing in that 50 gallon. here is whats in my 30
1 purple pseudochromis
1 clown tomato
1 4 stripe damsel
1yellow tail damsel1
1 brittle star
1 large feather duster
2 emerald crabs
1 sally lightfoot
5 hermits
1 turbo snail
45 lbs live rock
12 lbs live sand
i would say that only the yellow tang is the only tang good in a 50
by the way my tomato is hosting the duster
there ya go

E

exile415

sorry , heres what I have. a 60gallon tank with 57lbs of LR, 40lbs of LS. I told you the fish i have , thats about it. I use 2 canister filters which i got from my cousin.
-Rena Filstar XP2
-FLUVAL 404
-CPR BAK-PAK SKIMMER
-9watt Uv Sterlizer
That's about it. I just wanna get a yellow tang off this site for 1.99 does anyone know why they wont send it to me?

E

exile415

sorry norcal i didnt geta chance to read your post. actually i only go to that place on sunday because its 50% off every fish in bags. i love that place..
i see angels and everything ---CHEAPOO
there LR is actually expensive where i live now. i still live in sf but i go to trpical reef aquarium. its located on taraval street between 28-29th ave.
its 3.50 a pound.that's where i got my lr and on tuesday if your intrested they have fish for 20% off all live stock except LR. but corals are 20% off. hope this helps you out. you also missed out on the 50% off everything whole store. nippon goldfish was closing down and they had many tanks and things for sale cheap. thats where i got my skimmer. :happy:
well i would go to tropical reef aquarium for my lr. cheap as i can find.
hope this helps

xpdition03

Originally Posted by exile415
sorry norcal i didnt geta chance to read your post. actually i only go to that place on sunday because its 50% off every fish in bags. i love that place..
i see angels and everything ---CHEAPOO
there LR is actually expensive where i live now. i still live in sf but i go to trpical reef aquarium. its located on taraval street between 28-29th ave.
its 3.50 a pound.that's where i got my lr and on tuesday if your intrested they have fish for 20% off all live stock except LR. but corals are 20% off. hope this helps you out. you also missed out on the 50% off everything whole store. nippon goldfish was closing down and they had many tanks and things for sale cheap. thats where i got my skimmer. :happy:
well i would go to tropical reef aquarium for my lr. cheap as i can find.
hope this helps
Oh my gosh doode, I can't believe 6th avenue aquarium is still open. I remember going to them way back in the days, like 8 years ago. Glad to hear they are still doing the 50% off on Sunday thing. Now, before it was every other Sunday, is it now every Sunday?
This is the one that's right off Clement and 6th, right?

norcal

hey thanks alot for all the info. i will go and check them out next time i have a sunday off. i wanna set up a qt be4 i get any fish there though cuz im a little worried that they are cramped in there, very good deals tho. ok well good luck with that yellow tang, my final verdict is go for it (the guy with the 40 gal. convinced me). and ill have to snatch up some live rock from 6th when i get a chance. thanks again,
mike

jer4916

who ever said that bioload isn't overloaded and they're load isn't over loaded..your flipp'n crazy.
omg would that tank beover stocked! ...yeah its fine now..give it awhile its going to crash and if your lucky a few of your fish will live. think of it like this : a family of 5 people in an elevator. NEVER leaving. EVER. you would kill your siblings. now same amount of people in a 20 bedroom home. NO problems. you can be alone...etc
and a tang needs atleast a 125 gallon to be HAPPY ..yeah he'll live in a smaller tank..doesn't mean hes going to be healthy and live the 20 years its supposed to....odds are you'll get 2 years out of that tang...and he'll get sick and die.

id like to know where you get your info. seriously, my info comes from people who has been doing this for 30 years and are marine bioloigists. fish arent happy or sad, happy in a 125?? dude its not your little brother or any other type of human being with emotions,its a fish with instincts thats it. ive seen a yellow tang live in a 40 from 1 inch to be full 8 inches and look and act "happy "as you say as the one ive seen in a 300 gallon aquarium, now putting a large tang in a 30 or under is a little cramped for a tang and will probably stress the fish , but if a fish is raised in that envoroment (30 and up) it wont know any different, now the tang police can get on me but im not sayin all tangs are stress free in smaller enviroments but the yellow tang is. ive seen yellow tang freak out and die of stress in very large tanks and ive seen them live long lives in 30 and 40 gallon tanks. if your parameters are good and your not crule to the fish give it a good home and feed it" free" food that drops into its lap everyday. . my tank as i stated above has 4 fish ,a total ,after all is full grown, to 12 inches of fish in a 30 gallon tank.
so in closing exile415 get your yellow tang and enjoy every minute of it, i recomend getting a 1 to 2 inch youngster and watch him grow to be "happy" :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish

my 30
1 purple pseudochromis
1 clown tomato
1 4 stripe damsel
1yellow tail damsel1
1 brittle star
1 large feather duster
2 emerald crabs
1 sally lightfoot
5 hermits
1 turbo snail
45 lbs live rock
12 lbs live sand
and my 2.5 pico
large eye lash polyps
colony zoos
starburst polyps
hairy mushroom
blue ricordia mushroom
4 hermits
1 small emerald crab
1 turbo snail
2 50/50 compact florecent 10,000 kelvin bulbs

jer4916

every marine book i've ever read says a yellow tang needs a minium 125. every single last one. so i think your friends are out in left field. :hilarious read your books, and then buy your fish if you dont want to waste your money. thats my recommendation. But again..its not my tank, and it wont be my problem when that guys on hear asking for help because his tang is dying

do me a favor and tell me the dates those books were written or published the first time because ive read alot of those types of books and most are 7 to 10+years old, knowledge has come a long way
:thinking: :rolleyes:

mombostic

Just look at the different web sites on the internet that sell fish. I guaratee you, if you want me to send them to you, I will. Some say 50. Some say 75. Some say 100. One book I have doesn't go so much into gallons but rather the length of the tank--six feet for optimum health, but four feet a bare minimum.
Having said that, it is a scientific fact that nearly all tangs are open ocean, shoaling fish that do well with lots of swimming room. However, in my humble opinion, cleanliness, strong water currents and a diet rich in greens and veggies are key factors in keeping a tang healthy. I bought a system that has been running for several years. It's a 55 that has a yellow in it, and he's okay, FOR NOW. However, I'm going to trade him in as he starts to grow. There will be people who say YES, and some who say NO, but the bottom line is that it's your tank, and you have decide. If he starts to outgrow his surroundings, be willing to trade him in or donate him to a larger aquarium.
Just my 2 cents.

E

exile415

norcal said:
hey thanks alot for all the info. i will go and check them out next time i have a sunday off. i wanna set up a qt be4 i get any fish there though cuz im a little worried that they are cramped in there, very good deals tho. ok well good luck with that yellow tang, my final verdict is go for it (the guy with the 40 gal. convinced me). and ill have to snatch up some live rock from 6th when i get a chance. thanks again,
mike[/QUOTEp
no !! norcal go to tropical reef and get your LR ! its cheaper. 3.50 a lb. 6th ave is $5 a lb