yellow tang

E

exile415

I really want to put a yellow tang in my tank. it would be a great addition to my tank + my lfs sells yellow tangs for $9.99.

J

johncombs

Try and find a kole tang they don't get near as big as a yellow tang and they eat way more algae. They cost a little more but it is worth the money i assure you. Try keeping a cleaner shrimp with your tang as well, it will help keep it clean of ich and other parasites. Besides all this crap saying all tangs need at least 125 gallons is just that, CRAP! I've had a hippo tang in a 75 gallon tank for three years and still counting. It's healthy and happy as could be, just make sure you feed them correctly, provide at least some strong current and they will do fine.

jer4916

Do what you want, not my fish or my money. I would just read and think clearly before you buy an animal. Not really fair that the animal could and will die because of your own negligence.
Just because you want something doesn't mean its right. Yeah i would like to have a pet tiger...doesn't mean i should get one, or take care of it properly.

J

johncombs

Originally Posted by Jer4916
Do what you want, not my fish or my money. I would just read and think clearly before you buy an animal. Not really fair that the animal could and will die because of your own negligence.
Just because you want something doesn't mean its right. Yeah i would like to have a pet tiger...doesn't mean i should get one, or take care of it properly.

How many books did you read??? Two? Three? I've read tons of books and any information I can find elsewhere and can find 3 or 4 different gallon requirements for 90% of tangs out there. There is more than one way to keep fish successfully, in most instances. Although it is true that most tangs require or do alot better in tanks with more room. But that said it is just like most things, you can do it more than one way.
AND a tang is not going to get PO'ed and eat you if you are not taking care of it properly, so you can't really compare it to a tiger!

jer4916

i've read 4 or 5 ..and i just figure the average is 100 gallons, some say 150 while others say 75, i picked a happy medium. they can be kept in smaller tanks, i can also make $20k a year less too and still survive...doesn't mean im going to be happy

dhughesz28

ive seen 5 foot long 30 gallons and 6 feet long 40 gallons
6' long 40 gal?
my 46 gal is only 3 feet long, how deep was the tank you were looking at, 3" ? ?? ? :confused: :confused:

scubadoo

IMO..tangs are very misunderstood by many hobbyists. Most require a minimum of six feet of swimming space as adults with some of the larger adult tangs a minimum of 8 feet. I am referring to more conventional size systems and not some shallow system gutter can tank.
These animals love to open up and swim...something a 4 foot tank cannnot provide. A kole tang will do well in a 4 foot tank and is one of the exceptions.
Those that even suggest most tangs can live in smaller setups for long-term and through adulthood do not understand the requirements for keeping tangs.
We all have opinions including those that author books. Once you experience losses you gain understanding and learn that some info is just wrong or perhaps based on keeping juvenile animals and not adult tangs.
FOr example, one web site claims you can keep one inch of fish per two gallons. This website is flat wrong as to arrive at an absolute for inch per gallons is quite difficult as some species require more space, secrete larger amounts of waste, etc. Following the advice of that webstite.....you could keep 14.5 inches of fish in a 29!! RIDICULOUS and flat out wrong., irresponsible, etc , etc.
JMO..and I have been in this hobby for 30 plus years.

scubadoo

Originally Posted by exile415
I am looking foward to get a yellow tang for my 50g.
The fish I have are:
-goldenhead sleeper goby
-firefish goby
-scisscortail goby
-clarkii clown
-orange skunk clown
Sorry Eric. I did not directly answer your question with my opinion.....I would suggest a Kole tang...your tank is borderline but it can work in a 50...assuming it is 4 feet long. A 7-8" adult yellow tang will not like 4 feet of swimming space. The yellow will most likely die from stress and/or disease as it begins to feel cramped.
JMO but I assure you it is accurate.

schubert

My 40g has a clown, strawberry pseudo, sixline wrasse, lawnmower blenny, pygmy angel, and about 60 pounds of rock. This ok?

ophiura

Originally Posted by ludachris821
do me a favor and tell me the dates those books were written or published the first time because ive read alot of those types of books and most are 7 to 10+years old, knowledge has come a long way
:thinking: :rolleyes:

You are absolutely right. Knowledge has come along way and what has been learned from it is that tangs generally do better in longer tanks. I'm not even a hard core tang police person...if you had one of those rediculously (shamefully) tiny blue tangs they now sell, then I might say put it in a 30long with lots of LR and no other fish and give it time to adapt and grow until you can put it in a larger tank. It is not to say that some fish don't survive it. Lots of animals survive in conditions that nonetheless do not allow them to thrive.
Yes a tang won't come out and kill you if it is angry...that is no reason to take advantage of it. You can keep many animals in exceedingly confined spaces. You could keep a kid in a closet. Your cat in a cage may not kill you, but long term these things are considered potential acts of cruelty, and they are frequently punishable by law. It doesn't happen in the fish world, but it doesn't mean people should have the green light to do anything they want, IMO. There are parallels. There is humility and responsibility.
From what I've read most of the Fenner's and the Michael's and the other fish people do advocate keeping these fish in larger systems.

chypriss

Whats wrong with keeping a kid in the closet :notsure: ?!?! Thats how i was raised, and I turned out pretty decently. Then again most people that meet me think Im crazy. :jumping:
:happy: :joy:

darth tang

Bottomline, If you keep a tang in a tank dubbed to small (less than 75 gallons) It may be "happy" for a year maybe two. After that it will not have enough roam to "race" in your tank. Then It will become stressed and probably show signs of ick (as I believe Ick is always present when fish are around as it seems to be a stress related issue from my experiences). The ich will most likely transfer to your other fish, causing you to treat for it if you don't have a tank wipeout and catch it in time. This will be headache as treatments are never pleasant fro either party. After your ich ordeal your tang will still be "unhappy" and cause another outbreak thus continuing the cycle till till your tang finally dies, if not the other inhabitants as well. Yeah, sounds like it is worth a shot to me. This sounds like so much fun everyone should experience this form of the hobby. (sarcasm off)
But people will do what they want to, because as humans we are natrurally selfish and what we want overrides all other concerns. So those expressing that the yellow tang can survbive happilly in a 55 gallon tank, you do that. And keep dumping money in a bottomless hole. Because after all, it is only money and fish you are throwing away. after you have a couple tank wipeouts like I have than maybe you will listen......Hopefully it won't take you $2000 dollars in fish and medicine related products to realize this as I did.
These people aren't saying not to do it because they don't like you or feel Tangs suck. They are telling you this because past experience and knowledge has proven it. So enjoy your tang, hopefully it will make it 2 years. The rest of us that own them in the proper conditions will enjoy ours for the next 10-20 years. How many tangs will you have purchased in that time frame to our single tang?