Yellow tang

cajunmike50

I have a 60 gallon tank with a blue tang, and 4 damsels. I have 2 small anenome in it as well. I have purchased 3 yellow tangs about 4 inches in length and they do fine for a day or so then at night they vanish completely from tank!! this was my 3rd time replacing and I cant find a sign they were ever in tank. I also have 1 peppermint shrimp and 1 coral banded shrimp. I have a few hermit crabs as well and tank is in great shape water is perfect. I fed fish 3 nights ago and watched tang eat and all and went to bed. the next day he was gone. Is there any chance the Coral banded is killing and eating my tangs? It is the only new item to tank!!

goldrush

Did you look the floor? It's very unlikely that a CBS will devour 3 yellow tangs overnight. Maybe he's hiding them in a rock cave?

goldrush

I still find it hard to believe that a 4" yellow tang would totally disappear overnight, with just a "few' hermit crabs.

cajunmike50

This has happened over time, I bought the 1st tang right after my girlfriend bought me the coral shrimp. Then the 1st Yellow tang disapeared. I assumed it died as a result of a Emerald crab so I got a replacement. For 3 days all was well. Then I woke up and the 2nd was gone. I moved rocks around and nothing. I waited 3 weeks and replaced it for my final time with the emerald crab in my lower tank. All seemed well then Friday night I fed fish got up went hunting and returned to find this one gone. I removed the rock and couldnt find a sign not even skeleton parts. I have a covered hood so no animals can enter or fish jump out. This is absolutely crazy to me. Only change in tank over time frame was Coral Shrimp. He is not that big either? I know I am done with yellow tangs but is it possible my Hippo tang is the killer?

tthemadd1

Doubtful it was the other fish. Have you ever heard clicking noises in your tank? Snails, hermits, crab, worms, bristle stars, and stars in general can devour a dead fish in hours to days.
Does sound weird for a fish that size to be eaten in one night but not impossible.
Clicking noises at night should be a sign of a mantis shrimp. Also Godzilla crabs can live in a tank forever before noticed. I would suggest turning off the lights at night and then using a flashlight about two hours later.
You be amazed at what is living in your rock work.

cajunmike50

I will search tank tonight, I have found a number of tiny add ons in tank as it aged, I do have some really hidden caves but havent seen anything large or odd in tank. Trust me guys and ladies I am by no means crazy and have had every kind of animal from baby deer to timber wolves at some point as a retired rehab. home for wild animals. I cant for the life of me figure out why its only the yellow tangs that vanish!!!! I will watch at night and see what happens. All in all no more tangs will resolve this until I get something else. I even looked around floor under furniture to see if they jump through crack in wood frame hood. This is one for ripleys!!!