yellow tang

schippy

I have a 55 reef with lr and ls. I have 2 clowns so far and whant to add a yellow tang. Can it do well in a 55??

fishymissy

Talk about a loaded question!
Almost everyone will say no, you can't keep any tang in a 55g and have it be happy.
I hate to disagree but I feel you can keep a yellow tang in a 55g and have it be not only happy but healthy. I have one in my tank that I have had for almost 3 yrs now. I can tell she is "happy" by the fact that she swims with her fins open and erect, her eyes are clear and bright, her color is an intense yellow, she has a hearty appetite, her body is nicely filled out (not too fat, well, maybe a little) and she spends most of her day lazily grazing on the rocks and sand.
Part of this success might be due to the fact that my tank is not a "wall of rock". I think the extra swimming room within the tank makes a big difference.
JMHO

I have had a yellow tang in a 55 for almost a year now, he has grown a lot and will probably be moved into a larger tank later down the line.. These fish are kinda like cows they graze every hour they are awake. Mine is a waste machine that eats like a pig, I strongly recommend a good skimmer and good filter whether it is biological or mechanical. I would also recommend waiting until the tank is well established (6-7 months) I was really nervous at first about ick problems but luckily for me the tang never got infected, definately qt these fish beacuse they get ick easy. good luck:cool:

buzz

This is just one of those things...:rolleyes: This topic has swung in both directions. First, about a year ago, everyone was adimant that 75g was a minimum. Then more recently, and for a while, people determined that a tank with a 4 ft footprint was adequate, typically 55g+ for a Yellow Tang. Now, the adimant stance has returned, some even saying now the minimum is even larger! All this tells me is that people really don't know . It really depends on what is in the tank all ready (fish, rock, etc.). They need swimming room. As much as possible. But you will get SOOOOO many different opinions on just what that magic, minimum tank size is, that you won't find a definite, correct answer. You will have to be the judge of how the fish behaves, interacts, etc. once in the tank.

aileena

I have been on this board for a while and two things that will almost always incite a riot is telling people that you are putting a Yellow Tang in a 55g or that you have a clam under vho lights...
In my opinion a YT is fine in that size tank...I have one in my 60g and it does just fine and I have 60lbs of LR!!! However be aware as stated earlier that they are really pigs!!! Lots of veggie sheets and mysis both soaked in garlic, is what I have been feeding. Also a little bit of veggie flake here and there...
Good Luck

flamehawk

I also think a YT in a 55 is ok.
Some folks on this board who I respect implicidly will disagree...but thats what sometimes makes things interesting. Good luck.

ocellaris_keeper

I've been quilty of a yellow in a55g too. they do need a lot of space to swim - but if you supply it with plenty of seaweed and algae they do ok.

macatua

First of all, I have to agree with fishymissy. One thing that I feel is important to keep a tang in a 55 gallon is to not have that "wall of rock". Sure tangs like to graze on algae, my tank makes planty. But my regal will eat mysis and seaweed also, so feeding is not a problem. With not as much rock, I have about 55 lbs in two stacks with a valley in the middle, the tang seems to like having a little extra room to move. She is a vibrant blue, eats well, and loves to show out for me.
One other thing I will make a suggestion for tangs. I bought my regal at only about 2 inches long, if that. As a baby, it is easier for her to adjust as well as she will be comfortable in ym 55 gallon longer. Sure, ina year or two I may be ready to upgrade the tank larger anyway, and she will be happy. But as a baby with planty of open water, I think a tang in a 55 is just fine.