yellow tang

dragracer

I just bought a Yellow Tang.......when I got home, he had a bright white stripe on his side, well both sides, and they were identical......is this some sort of defense deal since they are the same on both sides, or is it something to worry about?

drakken

That's totally normal. Look at any pic of a YT and you will see the stripe. Also, They will look different in the morning when you first turn on the lights.

liz50138

Mine has the same spot. I believe it is his spine, but not totally sure. As for looking different right after turning on the lights, mine always has a yucky brown circle in the middle of his body. Goes away in a few minutes though.

liz50138

I've never had problems keeping my yellow tang vibrant, it's kust a few minutes right after you turn your lights on that tehy have a brown spot on them, then it goes away.

janelle

just feed your yellow tang well and keep it happy, it will retain its bright colors. Lots of dried seaweed (called nori, you can get it at your local oriental food market) and a homemade blender mush will do wonders. (do a search on the net for marine mash or blender mush and get a detailed recipie, but its basically throwing some chopped peeled raw shrimp, mussels, clams, vitamins like zoe or selcon in the blender and grind it up, freeze it flat and break off a chunk when you want to feed it.)