Yellow Tang

nygemini007

Just bought one, and would like to know the best way to keep it helthy and happy. Keep hearing about using lettuce or romaine, which is better? What are the best vitamins and easy to keep and use? Thanks in advance.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The Yellow Tang is my favorite fish, and is also the most acquired fish in the marine fish-keeping industry. This fish is mostly vegetarian, thus you need to do what I told you to do in your Flame Angel post. Green leafy lettuce or spinich, etc. Don't use iceburg, as it does not have the same roughage and vitimins needed by this fish. Yellow Tangs can be difficult to keep because of their nutritional needs as well as there suspectiblity to disease. They frequently come from the store looking somewhat "wasted" with suken bellies....meaning, they are not getting enough nutrition. Get a "lettuce clip" from your local pet shop, which you will clip the lettuce to the side of your tank. This will flow in the water current of your aquarium, presenting as a tempting food source for your fish. When you first use this in the tank, do not be concerned that your fish ignore the lettuce for a few days. Once they figure out what it is, your vegetarian fish will devour it! A word of caution, however, I have had both an angel and tang get too much of this at a time. The angel ate himself to death and the tang got quiet sick. Rinse off the lettuce with cool water before putting it in the tank to get all of the pesticide off it that farmers use to grow it, or buy Organically grown. Too, tangs tend to need a lot of oxygen in the water. So make sure you have lots and lots of water circulation at the top of your tank and powerful filtration. You might want to drop a few airstones in too.
[This message has been edited by beth (edited 02-26-2000).]

xavier

Also use dry seaweed. It is inexpensive (at least here) and adds variety. Also can try Formula Two in flake or frozen.

fishgirl

I use Vita-Chem liquid vitamins (can be added to water and food), and of course romaine lettuce on a veggie clip, 2 types of flakes (one based on spirilina algea, the other a basic fish meal one), and frozen brine shrimp. My yellow tang positivly thrives on these.