Yellow Tip Anemone

fishy7

Saw this YBTA at my LFS and could not resist. I have never heard of a yellow bubble but this one was quite large and looked very healthy. My GSM's were messing up the entire sandbed with no anemone.
They used to host the other anemones but the for rent sign is still out.
They keep checking it out wich is a good sign.

mryoung7

can anyone confirm that this isn't a dyed anemone? i have no reason to suspect other than i've never heard of a yellow tip and i don't recall seeing a similar one.
it looks very healthy though. nice. :joy:

fishy7

Hummmm this is a problem. I was told it was a bubble. This may be on reason why they are not hosting??

dogstar

Maroons will/do host in Ritteri and BTA so dont give up hope yet. It is strange that they did not jump right in though...

fishy7

I bought them as a pair and they have hosted an LTS and 2 BTA's. They have not hosted for about 3 months now and dug a 4ft by 1ft hole under my LR. All the sand is mounded up on the glass. Looks like a sand bar.
The male keeps going over and checking it out. Just not sure what to do with it. I am hoping in the next days to come, they will host. If not ohhh well.

N

n_sarno

I bought a RBTA for my perc clown pair and they didnt host anything for almost 6 months.. then one day I looked @ the tank and they were hosting my green shrooms.. go figure! lol

T

thomas712

The sheer number of tenticals should tell you this is not a bubble tip.

fishy7

Thomas

What do you think. I was told a yellow bubble. From pictures and people's opinion it is a Ritteri? I really do not want this kind in my tank since they are difficult to keep from what I hear. Although he is looking very healthy and seems to like a lot of light. :thinking: My GSM will not host it.

Thanks Thomas

riccio

Originally Posted by Dogstar
Thats a nice anemone. But IMO, its a H. magnifica = Ritteri.
I agree. Provide a lot of light and flow. It will probably park itself at the top of your rock work closest to the light source. Oh, btw, they are very difficult, especially compared to a bta.

fishy7

Originally Posted by riccio
I agree. Provide a lot of light and flow. It will probably park itself at the top of your rock work closest to the light source. Oh, btw, they are very difficult, especially compared to a bta.
He is pretty high in the tank and loves the light and the heavy flow. No clowns host as of yet. Here are the latest pictures. It has been a week. How does he look? I am still thinking about sending him back. It will be a sad day since he is very beautiful.

dogstar

Fishy, it looks fine to me, does it eat ? have you tried to feed it ?
Thats is IMO a natural color for a Ritteri and a nice placement, thay like to be on rocks just like yours is. I remember you had trouble with keeping BTA I think so might just want to leave well enough alone. Your Clowns may discover it after a while.....wait some more IMO....

T

thomas712

Sometimes these anemones can look like they have a bit of a bulbous end, but mostly they should have long tapering ends. My thought is that it should darken up the longer it stays in your tank. I agree, leave well enough alone right now and see what happens. And feed it meaty foods.
Thomas

fishy7

Originally Posted by Dogstar
Fishy, it looks fine to me, does it eat ? have you tried to feed it ?
Thats is IMO a natural color for a Ritteri and a nice placement, thay like to be on rocks just like yours is. I remember you had trouble with keeping BTA I think so might just want to leave well enough alone. Your Clowns may discover it after a while.....wait some more IMO....
Hey dogstar, he does eat. I fed him a siverside and he ate with no issues. I did have issues keeping a bubble but this guy seems to do well. I do not want to bother him but I know this type is difficult to keep. If I can not keep an LTA or BTA, I really do not have any business trying a "more" difficult species only to see him die. I am not about lets see if he makes it - reefer.
On the other hand he looks healthy and does not show any signs of issues. I did add another hour to my light cycle, hope he likes it.
The clowns.... I watched last night for about an hour and the male keeps swing around the base and sides, the females does the same but not as much. It appears they are checking it out. Sound right? They know it is there but not sure what to do with it.

fishy7

Originally Posted by Thomas712
Sometimes these anemones can look like they have a bit of a bulbous end, but mostly they should have long tapering ends. My thought is that it should darken up the longer it stays in your tank. I agree, leave well enough alone right now and see what happens. And feed it meaty foods.
Thomas
Thomas, thanks again for your direction. I appreciate it. Can you recommend food to get this guy? If I am going to give it a shot, I want to set myself up for success!