Yellowhead wont eat! Help!

dave_15

i didnt see my yellowhead eating for the last 1.5 weeks. I tried slamon,squid,shrimp, scallop, some other wierd fish (cant remember what its called), brine shrimp, misis shrimp... i also tried live shrimp and fish but he doesnt seem to be interestied....i looked at him today and he turned a bit whitish (not white just a little...you can still see his colors)....i dont know what to do. The Lfs said that they fed him live minniws,guppies and shrimp...he wont take it! What should i do? :help:
Dave_15

fishntx

hows your water quality they will go on hunger strikes if they are stressed in any way. also i would not feed him salmon its usually to oily. and no freshwater minnows or guppies they are not healthy for your eel

dave_15

i was just lookin at the eel and one of the minniws are gone (i put in 2)....its not lying anywhere and not in the filter or skimmer. I fed him freshwater live because thats what they fed it there...i wanted him to eat something so i tried to gie him some.

B

boatdrinks

Have you tried feeding just after your aquarium lights go off?

cartman101

have you tried silver sides???? Eels never pass that up, same with squid. Your eel may be on hunger strike, dont worry, just like a snake if they r hungry they WILL eat

dave_15

i couldnt find any silversides....are there any other names they are called...i have been looking for these since i got him but couldnt find any

S

salt_hobbi

Mostly becuase silversides have one of the most strongest smells, and if you have noticed eels are almost blind and find food with with scent.

B

boatdrinks

I've had really good luck getting picky fish to start eating by soaking their food in selcon. If it is available in your area, I recommend giving it a shot. It is also a good source of unsaturated fatty acids and vitamin C.

unleashed

silver slides com in frozen form unfortunatly this is the only way to purchase them .you should never feed any SW fish. fw feeders fw diet is completely different than sw your LFS should have known better.if you have to feed live use brackish fish at least its closer to natural diet.feeders such as brackish black mollies. your LFS should carry silverslides in the freezer area.best bet with feeding eels is to stick feed with a long acrylic feeder stick .just wiggle the fish a bit in front of him once he realizes this is his food you will have no problems getting him to eat.