Yellowtail Blue Damselfish Personality

regaldragon

I'm just wondering if anyone has a yellowtail that has the same personality as mine. He is a demolitions master... every week I have to save his yellow little butt because he will clear all the sand out from underneath one of my larger pieces of LR... and it will collapse on him. When I'm not having to save him, it's fun to watch him move big pebbles out from underneath the rock with his mouth and bring them halfway across the tank, and kick out sand and such. Does anyone else have a damsel that does this? Just wondering. :D

dreeves

Clear the sand away put the rock on the botton...replace the sand around the rock...next time your fish does what he does it wont fall on him...

killafins

Dreeves, excellent recommendation. ALthough it will be time consuming it is very important that you do this becaue one of these days you wont' be able to save him.
My damselfish like to dig cavers. I have a piece of fake barnicle broke into two. One on each side of the aquarium. My pink chromis has a crater around it and will actually clean the area of algae. He has tunnels running under it and behind it too. My blue damsel does the same but not to the extrememe but I think it's fascinating to watch these guys do it. In fact, that's the reason why I still have them.

I had one like that too, he would burrow into the subtrate under the LR. He also was very peaceful and never bothered anyone. I wish I still had him, but switched him for a scooter blenny.:(