yelolow tang with red on his fins

fishy7

Not sure what the heck is happening. This started yesterday now he is breathing hard.
any idea?
Water test:
ph 8.1
Phos 0
trates: 0
trites 0
ammonia 0
tmep 79
sg 1.023

sepulatian

Red on the fins or body is usually a bacterial infection. How it is treated depends. Do you have a fully cycled QT? How bad is it? Can you post a picture? What sized tank is this?

fishy7

No i do not have a cycled QT tank. I have had him for about 2 months. He was doing fine until yesterday. It is only on the top fins in a very small area.
This is in a 190.
Any suggestions on how to treat?

boxer

i believe your fish has red fin infection, i treat it before using melafix made by api, i purchase a yellow tang from ***** and within 24 hours it ws dead from that infection. you need to also buy a 10-20 gal tank for your qt.

larrynews

i just ran a cycle of melafix on my yellow tang and it has healed it, i dosed the tank in my fish only, everyone will say dont but it is fish only and i dont have a qt tank, so this is what works for me....

sepulatian

Originally Posted by FISHY7
http:///forum/post/2726542
Any other way to treat this in a natural way or is this my only choice?
You can add vitamins to his food. Rotate between Zoecon and vitachem (or Kent vitamin C) If it has just begun then the fish will be able to fight it off. If it gets worse then he will need medication in a cycled QT. You may want to go ahead and start cycling a QT. If you don't need it, then great. It is better to have it ready and not need it than to attempt treatment in an uncycled tank.

fishy7

Great thanks for the advice. It did just start, so I have a good feeling he can fight it off.
I did notice that my tank's ph is 14 and I have low level of magnesium.
Thanks again for the help.