Yes or no for wet/dry

maxalmon

I'm a little confused, my prior fish only tank did very well with the wet/dry. But now I'm reading that it may not be the best for use on a reef system and that it's better to use just LR and refugium (sp). For a 180g tank what would you do? Money really is no object...LOL

fishntx

if you have the money iwould go with the fuge as it will work alot better. if you want a fuge you can try to diy one out of your wet dry. the wet dry will work but not as well.

pfitz44

Making your own fuge out of a 75 is a good idea. Suggestion:
REplace Bioballs with LR Rubble and hook it up along with a refugium.

reefnut

IMO the best filtration for a reef is live rock, live sand, a "good" protein skimmer and a refuge.
I wouldn't replace the bioballs with LR rubble but I would remove them. Adding live rock to the tank will take the place of the wet/dry although you will most likely cycle again.
A 75g refuge on a 180g tank would be nice. I have always found sumps very useful so personally I'd turn the wet/dry into a sump.

scarr105

What is the different between the 2. Does anyone have pictures of what a Wet/Dry and Fuge/Sump look like. I always thought they were somewhat the same.

pfitz44

a wet/dry has bioballs in it. A fuge does not. A fuge has a DSB, macro algea, and other things that would harm/get harmed in your main tank. a refugium is essentilly a refuge for thing to live in.
A wet dry is just a type of filter with bioballs.

Wet/Dry

REfugium