yet an other shark question

jokerswild

i have just ordered a 810 gallon tank and would like to keep a shark or two any ideas on an active shark that won't out grow my tank? i don't want to trade it in in a year or two. ideas on tank mates would be helpful also.

chandler04

Options: Lionfish, Rays, bamboo/epaulette shark. (I hear epaulettes are nice) or maybe like a leapord shark. I dont really think they are that active, unless someone else knows. Some eels??? WHALE?!?!?!
LOL, jk. Thas a BIG tank. HAve fun with it. Think of some fish you would like to put in, and well give you either the:yes: or the :nope: . K? HAve fun my man, and goo luck with the heating/ lighting/ salt... $$$$$$$$$

gasguzzler

You would be cutting it real close but you could try a small species of smoothound. Im not sure on the names. Im sure someone can help, but they will probably disagree with me!

cincyreefer

Originally posted by jokerswild
would two smothhounds be all i could house?

As far as smoothounds are concerned? Or other sharks as well... not sure what you mean.
If it were my tank and I wanted to go with elasmo's then this is probably what I would get...
Pair of smoothounds
Pair of Cali Rays
Pair of epaulettes
Port Jackson
Just give them a few piles of rocks and they all should be rather happy.

cincyreefer

Gas- No blue lights here. The more longterm experience I am getting with smoothounds, the more I am finding out that they really don't seem to grow much. Even Tony says his hasn't grown that much and he has about as good of water quality, feeding, and temperature conditions possible.

jokerswild

Originally posted by cincyreefer
As far as smoothounds are concerned? Or other sharks as well... not sure what you mean.
If it were my tank and I wanted to go with elasmo's then this is probably what I would get...
Pair of smoothounds
Pair of Cali Rays
Pair of epaulettes
Port Jackson
Just give them a few piles of rocks and they all should be rather happy.

so what can i can have a pair of each or just one pair of one of the above?

pufferman

Smoothhound would be your best bet among active sharks. Actually there is no active true shark that wouldn't outgrow your tank. 810 might sound really huge to most aquarists, but it is considered unacceptably tiny for the majority of actively swimming sharks. If you decide to keep smoothhound, the tank should be sub-tropical or cool. So choose tankmates accordingly.

gasguzzler

Actually cincy, I have been rethinking my Bonnet idea and I think a pair of smoothies with my pair of bamboos, cali rays, lion and zebra moray would be a good mix for the 980. I dont want to have to rely on the Aquarium that said they would take it. Thats not very responsible since I dont plan to upgrade after that. There may be some changes to my stocking list though. I think a pair of blue dot rays will beat out the cali's, and my dragon moray would beat the zebra. We'll see.

cincyreefer

Yeah, you definitely have alot of options. I agree with the bonnethead... Although I was hoping you might eventually have a large one to get rid of. :) Too bad you live so far away. I would be able to get you any of those handpicked for size and color if you were able to come pick them up.

gasguzzler

Thats probably not an option. I like to stay in the "North Country" !!! The only thing I will need to find are the smoothies. My guy up here can get the blue dots, I have everything else and the dragon is on order as we speak. Cant wait to the BAD A$$!!!