yet another fish compatibility question

laurie01

I apologize for asking yet another fish compatibility question, but I can't figure out what is best just by reading. I have a 120 gal AGA aquarium that is 48"x24"x24". There is only 1 brittle star in the tank at the moment, from a leftover cleaning crew. (My last fish, a tomato clown, died about a year ago at about 8 years of age - he was 4 when he was given to me.) I had been very busy since then concentrating on my new house to worry about my aquarium. However, I now have more time, and want to get my aquarium back up to speed again.
My question is about what fish I can put in there. My two favorite fish (the two reasons I wanted a saltwater aquarium in the first place), are a Volitan lion fish, and a Huma Huma trigger. Now, from everything I have read on here, I understand my tank is not very large at all, and most of the compatible fish I am interested in get too large. Is my aquarium too small for a full-size Volitan? I know they get to be about 15". I also understand it is a huge risk putting a huma trigger in with a lion, and is not recommended. If I had to choose between just one of these two, I would go with the lion.
My question is, what other fish can I put in here that would not get eaten, also since this is not a large aquarium? I have a protien skimmer I will be connecting again, before I add any fish. I also have 60-70 pounds of live rock, but I was thinking I should probably get another 40 pounds or more. The other fish I am interested in (but i realize my tank is probably too small), are a porcupine puffer, of course a panther grouper-but i won't even go there, and maybe an imperator angel.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Laurie

aw2x3

Lions, as big as they get, are pretty hard to come up with tank mates for. I had one for years...15" and as big as a basketball. I experimented alot and got pretty lucky. Over the years, he was with Triggers (Clown, Blue Throat, Black Durgeon), Angels (8" Passer), Tangs (8" Sailfin), Morays (my current Hawaiian Dragon and Whitemouth)...and a few others. They were always smaller than the Volitan, of course, but none of the other fish ever tried to pick on him.
I would not suggest a Volitan for a 120gal. tank. My tank was 200gal (although it was a custom tank at 48x30x30) and I still thought it was too small. If I were to get another, I couldnt bring myself to put it in anything other than a 72L x 24W tank...they just get too big.
If you're dead set on Triggers, try the Blue Throat, Sargassum, Pink Tail or Black Durgeon, as tank mates. Tangs seem to work pretty well for tank mates, as well (except for the highly aggressive ones, such as Sohal or Clown).
Psucro (or however you spell it), has a 300gal. with 2 large Volitans and other tankmates, including 2 Stingrays. Get in touch with him and ask about his experiances.

laurie01

Thank you for your suggestions! I will keep them in mind and try to get in touch with him. I was also reading on here that snowflake eels would make goot tank mates. However, I will continue researching. If you have any other suggestions, (or anyone else), please let me know.

hot883

Eels are AWESOME, but you will need to "escape" proof the tank because they will find a way out for sure. Have you considered a dwarf lion like a fu manchu or a fuzzy? Very pretty and majestic all the same.
And welcome BACK. Barry

laurie01

Yes, I was also reading that the tank has to be escape proof for an eel. I have a canopy on the aquarium, but the tank I bought (used from a local fish store that decided to stop selling saltwater) also had a glass top on it - but I would still have to cover the back 2". I did also read on here how that could be done by getting this light diffuser from Home Depot & cutting it to fit. I would absolutely have to do that.
So eels have lots of personality? That's great to know! I may have to think about one. :thinking: Yes, I was looking at the dwarf lions - they are very pretty. I may have to go that route, since this tank isn't very large. They would fit much better probably, and still would be quite impressive!

aw2x3

My Morays are like my kids. I've recently torn down my tank and have taken my Hawaiian Dragon and Whitemouth to my friends fish store, until I get my tank back up and ready to go. This is the first time, in over 2 years, that my Morays have been in someone else's care, besides mine. Also, keep in mind that my buddy has only ever kept reef tanks and has never had any experiance with predatory fish.
I walked into the store, a few days after taking the Morays in and was checking on "the kids". I walked up the to the tank and the Whitemouth went nuts...swimming around all over the place, coming to the top of the tank, etc.
My friend started freaking out..."Dude!! What the hell is it doing? I've had them here for 2 days, constantly checking on them and it's NEVER done that...what the hell?!?!"
He was hungry and he recognized me, as the food provider. For people who say that fish dont recognize you...they're full of crap. For as long as I've had my Dragon and Whitemouth, they've never gotten active until I walk into the room. You could have 50 people walk thru the room and they'd be perfectly content...I walk into the room and they'll start freaking out.
How's that, for personality?

miamireefr

AW2x3 is right on the money... for myself my snow flake eel goes haywire when he sees me...... and more so when he hears the canopy barely creek open.... with my wife or friends he just comes out for a quick inspection but doesn't really give a rats ass... The

[hr]
almost came out of the tank yesterday when I was feeding my clown.... half of his body was hanging out of the water...had to smack him back in. but all in all everyone who sees him falls in love... I compare my snowflake to the rest i have seen and he truly has a pattern that is more appealing then most of the ones i have seen on this board and in lfs's... also helps to enjoy when they are larger as wel imo... mine is 23" roughly.
Nick

laurie01

I love your stories! They are absolutely hilarious.
:hilarious :hilarious :hilarious And here I thought it was bad when, last year, my cat started following me everywhere like a puppy dog, after 12 years of trying to get attention from my husband. Not to mention a fish! I will definately have to get an eel then! :joy:

laurie01

Hi everyone! I have been doing lots of reading since my last post, and finally came up with a fish list for my aquarium. I am wondering how this sounds to you:
fuzzy dwarf lion
SFE
red coris wrasse
yellow tang
flame angel
niger trigger
At what point will my aquarium be fully stocked? Also, in what order should I add the fish, and can I add more than 1 at a time? I'm thinking of shipping charges here, since I do not have a LFS nearby. (Although I just heard of one that is 45 min. from here, I haven't checked it out yet.)
Thanks for your help.

laurie01

Anybody have any opinions?
The questions I really am looking for an answer to are - when will my tank be considered fully stocked?, and how many fish can I add at a time without sending the tank into a re-cycle?
Thanks for your help.

95harley

A gourgous Lion that doesn't get that big....Radiata.
Here would be my list:
H Tusks - Aust (to watch swim upside down, real active)
SFE - As stated above
Radiata Lion - Sits alot, not too active but what a looker
and one more maybe.....
Foxface - Again, real active, colorful, and low maint.

laurie01

Thank you for your opinion. I was also considering a Harlequin tusk (I read about the importance of getting one from Australia) & a foxface (probably instead of a yellow tang - I don't know if they would be able to go in the same tank together since they are both yellow). What order would I add fish?
95Harley - About a week ago, you were asking for opinions on putting a Volitan lion with a Niger trigger. Did you ever come to a decision? What size tank do you have? I was just curious. From what I read on here, the Niger trigger is about the least aggressive of the triggers, and could probably be put with a lion.
Radiata lions - Are they harder to get to switch to frozen foods? I can't remember now. Are they fairly hardy? (Remember, I don't have a ton of experience.)

v-lioness

laurie01

Originally Posted by V-Lioness
They can be tough to wean an no they are not very hardy, this lion is not for the beginner. A good place to start is here, The Lion info sheet - http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php and for further reference here Selection, Care, and Compatibility - http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/cav1i2...lionfishes.htm
Kaye

Thank you so much for the information! :happyfish Those web pages were great references! I will stick to a fuzzy dwarf lion - it seems to be about the best match for my experience level & my tank, since it's only 4' long.
Does anybody have any thoughts on how many fish I could add at one time, and in what order i would add them?
Laurie

xdave

WARNING!!!! Huma Triggers are well known for suddenly deciding to kill lionfish (or anything for that matter), even after years of cohabitation.

laurie01

Originally Posted by xDave
WARNING!!!! Huma Triggers are well known for suddenly deciding to kill lionfish (or anything for that matter), even after years of cohabitation.
Yes, I have been reading that on this forum for a while. I decided that I would rather have a lion at the moment than a humu humu trigger; therefore this particular trigger will not be added. If I add any trigger, it would be something like a niger trigger; nut even then, it's not necessary. The two fish I decided I want to have are a fuzzy dwarf lionfish, and a snowflake eel. No it's just a matter of chosing tankmates.
I had been thinking of -
either a harlequin tusk OR a red coris wrasse
foxface OR a yellow tang
maybe two or three other fish, like a Niger trigger, a flame angel or something

v-lioness

Does anybody have any thoughts on how many fish I could add at one time, and in what order i would add them?
IMO add the lion first, try to wean it over to frozen food before adding another fish, sometimes they wean fast others may need to be coaxed. This can be a challenge in itself without others trying to steal the food or spooking the lion plus it will allow the lion time to establish some territory.
If you're dead set on Triggers, try the Blue Throat, Sargassum, Pink Tail or Black Durgeon, as tank mates.
If you really like triggers, I do keep the Pinktail & Bluethroat in my lion tank, AW is right, you can add anyone of these triggers........
Kaye