Yet another lighting/anemone question

flywithpride

when I first started out in the SW i Had a 29 gal tank and 2 ck clowns. I whent into a LFS and told them that i wanted a Anem. for the clowns (to impress a girl i was seeing) and the lightting It required To this day idk Why but they sold me a PC light. I was expecting to spend more but that what they said was the right light so i got it the anem did well for a bit about 3 mounths i feed it and it was allway inflated when the light were on and would close when they whent out. Then at about 4 month it ate both of my pepermaint shrim in one night and dided. since then i havent had one problem keeping an anem. under PC lightting as long as a spot feed on a bi-weekly bais. but I will say that i think although I have been sucessfull I definatly agree that the MH are the way to go. it better to save and get the right equipment then risk the health of the tank and it inhabitints

philiposu

Perfect Dark or anyone else: My tank is 90 Gal 17 inches deep FOWLER w/ 90 pounds of live rock. I am in the process of retrofitting the tank to first improve filtration and then possibly improve the lighting to allow me a wider range of what I can keep (I have an interest in adding an anemone or 2). However, I am a little limited in how I can retrofit my tank cause both my base and hood are all acrylic. My questions lie on the lighting side. I am currently running 4-T12 VHOs 95W a piece off an Icecap 660. I do not believe that the current lighting is enough to give me any additional stocking options beyond FOWLER. I do not think I could easily change to MH or retrofit to T5s, so would adding another Icecap 660 and 4 more T12 VHOs @ 75w a piece help my cause?
Thanks,
Phil

perfectdark

Originally Posted by PhilipOSU
http:///forum/post/2542086
Perfect Dark or anyone else: My tank is 90 Gal 17 inches deep FOWLER w/ 90 pounds of live rock. I am in the process of retrofitting the tank to first improve filtration and then possibly improve the lighting to allow me a wider range of what I can keep (I have an interest in adding an anemone or 2). However, I am a little limited in how I can retrofit my tank cause both my base and hood are all acrylic. My questions lie on the lighting side. I am currently running 4-T12 VHOs 95W a piece off an Icecap 660. I do not believe that the current lighting is enough to give me any additional stocking options beyond FOWLER. I do not think I could easily change to MH or retrofit to T5s, so would adding another Icecap 660 and 4 more T12 VHOs @ 75w a piece help my cause?
Thanks,
Phil
Yes, although VHO's are an older technology they still are far more intense than std flourscent. If you did what you said and also retrofitted an individual reflector for the bulbs IMO you would have no issues keeping anything you want. If you cannot get individual reflectors over them, you still can keep a lot more, but some things you may need to use caution with.

philiposu

Much appreciated Dark. Correct me if I am wrong, I thought the new T12 VHO bulbs have reflectors built into on half of the bulbs. Would I still need additional reflectors? Sorry all I don't mean to take over the thread here, just thought my questions were somewhat inline with the thread topic.
Thanks,
Phil

reefmate75

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2542394
Yes, although VHO's are an older technology they still are far more intense than std flourscent. If you did what you said and also retrofitted an individual reflector for the bulbs IMO you would have no issues keeping anything you want. If you cannot get individual reflectors over them, you still can keep a lot more, but some things you may need to use caution with.
VHOs the URI ones have built in reflectors withen the bulbs, and thats why alot of people that use VHOs do not use reflectors, and IMO VHOs are still far better then T5s...remember they are the same thing as a T5 just a bigger bulb, and the reflector is on the inside of the bulb