Yet Another: New Setup Question

mcsierra

I am setting up my 29 Gal (Again) This time as a Reef. Here is what I plan to get Please give me your thoughts on this:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Live Rock 60 Lbs
[*]Live Sand 30 Lbs
[*]60 Blue Leg hermit crabs
[*]15 Turbo Snails
2 Tiger Tails Cucumbers
1 Serpent star or Brittle Star
1 Pistol Shrimp
[/list type=decimal]
Filtration: Two hang on over flows one will go to:

The other will go to a 10 Gal Glass Tank with some Sand and Rock Next to it. Where the 150W Heater will be.
What am I missing? How does this setup rank from 1 to 10 (10 is best)
Thanks,
Andre S
I'll go over Lighting when I pick what i want to go with still doing homework on that..!

broomer5

Hi Andre,
That wet/dry looks looks like it can handle a 55 gallon tank IMO. Sorta looks like the one I run on my 30 long tank.
If you're planning to have 60 lbs of good live rock and the sandbed, you may not need all the bioballs ( or any of them for that matter. )
I don't see any fish noted in your list. Even more reason to possible ditch the bioballs.
The only mechanical concern I question is having 2 separate overflows running to 2 separate under the tank vessels. Naturaly each will need it's own return pump, and if these 2 vessels ( the wet/dry and the 10 gallon tank ) are not connected together in some way to share water - you'll run the risk of having them each have a different level. Having a different level is not a bad thing, but should be condsidered in your powerloss plans. It all depends on the overflows feeding each vessel.
If each external overflow is positioned "exactly" at the same vertical level in the 29, meaning each overflow's inner teeth are at the same exact height relative to each other, then you should have equal flow to each vessel underneath.
Assuming each overflow is indentical to begin with.
If one inner box is positioned lower - it will become the dominant drain - draining more water than the other higher one, leading to more water flowing to it's respective vessel.
This can cause a potential problem in my opinion.
Especially if the return pumps are not the same as well. Even then .. you may find that one loop runs at a different flowrate than the other loop. Not highly likely - but possible.
Hooking both vessels together underneath the tank with fittings, so that they share the water, and they have equal levels, and using one larger return pump overcomes this potential for having 2 unbalanced flow loops IMO.
Can you describe your plans in a little more detail - maybe I'm not seeing the entire picture here ;)

dhbrk

i know this is off topic(sorry) but i have a 30 gallon long too and i was wondering what broomer used on his. equipment wise and how much lr and ls u have. again im sorry for the off topic post.

cap'n pete

Firsty take a look at my home page (listed in my signature). I think that one overflow attached to the wet/dry and skimmer is more than adequate for a 29G! Put a good powerhead opposite the overflow and you got it going on. A heater won't fit inside the wet/dry? I've seen people put a heater inside a CPR BakPak!
The amount of LR and LS is very adequate. IMO you dont need 2 overflows.