Yet another question about lighting...

atrialfib22

Ok...so I am in the process of setting up my 20g tank and to upgrade the stock NO light I was considering a 24in Nova Extreme 4x24W T5 HO @ 10K/460 nm.
My goal is to have a few hardy corals (zoas, leathers, etc) and eventually down the road have a BTA. But I wanna be ready for it all now while I am in the setup stage.
The dimensions of my tank are roughly 24 x 16 x 12 (L x W x H).
I would like to know if the total of 96W is right...could I get away with half of that lighting?
The reason I ask is because I just found a good deal on a fixture that outputs 48W (2x24W) T5 HO. And I think the dimensions fit my hood a lot better than the 96W.
I am not determined to get that one...but if it would be adequate I would certainly welcome the savings $$$.
Any input is greatly appreciated!

wangotango

For softies and the like, two bulbs would be fine, but if you want to keep more hard corals, then I'd go with the four bulb unit.
I would not keep an anemone in that size tank due to space (anemones tend to wonder and can kill coral as a result), and parameters are sometimes harder to maintain in smaller systems.
-Justin

atrialfib22

Thanks for the input...I have heard diff point of views regarding the BTA in a nano tank and it raises questions for me. Would the timing be a good factor to consider? Like for example...if I added the BTA first, allowing it to pick its favorite place and THEN adding the rest of the corals away from the anemone's surroundings? Would that make it a feasible situation in order to have both?
I guess I am trying to get a good feeling for what it is that I will be able to do and in what order.

1journeyman

The BTA, if happy, will grow large enough to cover much of the tank.
Just not really feasible. Anemones really aren't "reef" safe to begin with, but in a small tank where their tentacles could envelop half of the tank you just can't ask them to behave the way to want them too unfortunately.