Yet another question from a newbie

ejj92

:thinking: I would like to get a clown fish and I am not sure if I am able to get one. I have a reef tank with 2 frogspawn, mushrooms, zoo, and a toadspool. Am I able to get one? If so which breed would be the best. My tank is a 24 GL. Currently have a blue tang and a watchman goby, cleaner shirp and misc snails and crabs.
I have had my tank up and running for appox 3 months.

viper_930

You'll find out very quickly that any tang is a no-no in such small tanks. Even smaller tangs like koles or yellows should be in at least 75 gallons IMO.
And yes a clown would be a nice addition.

reef.magic

if you remove the blue tang, you will be able to fit a clown in there
even though the tang is probably juvenile, it still requires open swimming space, any type of clown you like would fair well in your set up, percula and ocellaris are the most popular

mcsd22

I agree the tang will become a issue, hope not but the odds are against you. If you plan on trying to breed the clowns I would suggest black and white.

ejj92

Thank you for your responses. I do have a juvenille tang. I only would like to add one clown, but I do not want to add it at the expense of not having happy fish or a happy tank overall. Just not sure if I sould take the risk.

granny

Is great that you are concerned with having happy fish-As much as possible in a closed environment that is what we want to do. However, as noted above, your blue tang will not be 'happy' for long at all. These fish are constantly swimming and grazing. It will be miserable in your tank and suffer great stress. I would really suggest finding the blue tang another home. Perhaps your LFS would trade it for the clown you would like.
The maroon clown is large and more aggressive. The ocellaris is smaller and peaceful.
The clowns do well in small tanks as much of their swimming motion is up and down and back and forth wiggling-they are not the active swimmers tangs are.
With one clown, you could pick whichever appeals to you.

ejj92

Thank you for all your responses. Well its just another excuse for me to start looking at bigger tanks cann't just part with my tang after all it has become part of our family :happyfish