yikes! crazy sfe

jenni620

my snowflake eel just attacked my foxface! like seriously grabbed it and started thrashing it around! the eel finally let go and the foxface went and hid behind some rocks. i'm suprised the eel didn't get stung by the foxface's spines; the eel grabbed him on the back. i'm so upset!!! i hope my foxface is okay.
i am getting rid of the darn eel tomorrow! what a jerk! aarrrggg!!

jenni620

i feed 3-4 times per week. i had actually just fed him a few pieces of krill right before the attack. the foxface seems to be doing okay today, thank goodness. i guess i will just have to start feeding the eel more at each feeding.

ccampbell57

Originally Posted by jenni620
my snowflake eel just attacked my foxface! like seriously grabbed it and started thrashing it around! the eel finally let go and the foxface went and hid behind some rocks. i'm suprised the eel didn't get stung by the foxface's spines; the eel grabbed him on the back. i'm so upset!!! i hope my foxface is okay.
i am getting rid of the darn eel tomorrow! what a jerk! aarrrggg!!
I am sorry to hear that Jenni. Unfortunately, this is what happens with most eels in an aquarium unless it is really big. I can't tell you how many of my friends have had the same story from their various types of eels. Your foxface may have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time.
All in all, if you keep fish that you dearly love in a tank with an eel you are playing russian roulette with them. I hope your fish recovers fine.

jenni620

thanks. the foxface seems fine today...but he does have some nasty looking marks on his sides. i think it was a matter of wrong place at the wrong time. the eel kinda gets in a frenzy at feeding time, so maybe it was an isolated incident.

ccampbell57

thanks. the foxface seems fine today...but he does have some nasty looking marks on his sides. i think it was a matter of wrong place at the wrong time. the eel kinda gets in a frenzy at feeding time, so maybe it was an isolated incident.
I would keep a close eye on your eel. Also when you feed him, try doing it with long prongs or a stick so that it goes straight to him and not floating around. This way, you will train him to spot feed instead of having to search around the tank for it.

jenni620

i use a feeding stick, but i think he recognizes me as the "provider" so anytime i walk by the tank he thinks he is getting fed.

rudedog40

i use a feeding stick, but i think he recognizes me as the "provider" so anytime i walk by the tank he thinks he is getting fed.

I think my SFE took a chunk out of my clown's fin before it died. The question I have is , how does your eel recognize you when you walk by the tank? Everyone tells me eels are blind. They just attack anything that comes by their 'lair' they think could be food. Are they truely blind, or just a little nearsighted?

jenni620

i don't know if he actually "recognizes" me..that was kind of a joke. but everytime i walk by the tank, he streches waaayyy out of his cave and comes to the front of the tank.