Yikes! Little help with a Ric please?

uneverno

So I got a cute little green Ricordea the other day that had been cultured on a snail shell. I epoxied the shell to LR, opening down so my hermits wouldn't get to it, but...
The epoxy didn't hold, and it came down overnight. I now have a "decorator crab" toting my ric around the tank.
I'm new to the coral aspect of the hobby - any suggestions on how to coax the coral off the shell, and then how do I attach it somewhere else - superglue?
Thanks,
Emil

swimmer4uus

That's probably not going to be the easiest option. The better option will prob be to get the crab out of the shell. What I would do is epoxy the edge of the shell to a rock, so that the crab can get out, but yet that the shell is DEFINANTLY not moving. Then provided him with another shell close by. When he leaves, close up the whole

uneverno

Thanks - kinda my thought as well.
As it turns out, he didn't like the shell, and went back to his old one. I immediately plugged the ric's shell w/ epoxy.

kromix

For future reference, no you can't glue the ric down, its feet needs to be attached to something like a rock or in your case the shell then glue the shell or rock to something........
And I would have hoped my crab would have stayed in, would have been cool to have a floating ric in my tank... lol Who was it that glued zoo's to a hermit crabs shell? thats cool lol

uneverno

lol - I have no idea. My red shrooms were cultured on shells too. They're either cultured locally or at LFS itself.
Not so sure that's a good idea