YIPES!!! My salt level!

clown boy

My Specific Gravity on my 135 gallon reef is reading 1.0245. Is that too high? I was recommended to keep it at 1.023, and I try to...

team2jndd

Whats in the tank? What are you using to check your salinity? Salinty levels ultimately depend on what kind of fish/coral you are keeping.

ninjamini

1.023 for FOWLR
1.025 for reefs or if you plan to keep inverts.
Always adjust this slowly. Never more than .5 per day. To raise it let evaporation be the cause. And if you need to top off that day then top off with salt water.
If you need to lower it remove some additional salt water and replace with RO/DI over several days.

C

cmaxwell39

I keep mine at 1.025. Everyone on here recommends the levels in that range for a reef tank with corals and such.

ophiura

Originally Posted by GhettoTang
Can someone explain to me why is the salinary for reef tank has to be above 1.025 and up.

This is not the correct question. The question is why FOWLRs are kept at unnaturally LOW salt levels. Reef tanks are kept at NORMAL specific gravity levels because many animals find the lower levels highly stressful - fatally stressful in fact, which is why the lower salinity is used to fight parasites.
It will.
And it will kill off desirable invertebrates as well.

cjason3041

Originally Posted by ophiura
This is not the correct question. The question is why FOWLRs are kept at unnaturally LOW salt levels. Reef tanks are kept at NORMAL specific gravity levels because many animals find the lower levels highly stressful - fatally stressful in fact, which is why the lower salinity is used to fight parasites.
It will.
And it will kill off desirable invertebrates as well.

i am so happy, i must finally be learning somthing....i actually knew that....but i still bow to you ophiura

cowfishrule

to me, whether its .024, or .027, stability is the key.
the more stable you keep your sg, the better results you'll have.

team2jndd

It is for this reason you should know the salinity of your lfs. Mine keeps the salinty at .018 for their fish to fight disease. If that is the case for yours as well... I deffinately suggest drip acclimation.

nycbob

as far as i am concern, a sg of 1.0245 is fine for a fish only or reef tank. as long as doesnt deviate more than a range of .020 of 1.0245, then its fine.

sjimmyh

Salinity in most reef's are naturally around 35 ppt. This closely corresponds to a spacific gravity (which btw, is not the same thing as salinity... but it is much easier and less expensive to measure) of around 1.025-1.026 at the temperatures we normally keep reef tanks at (close to 77 F or 25 C).
Like Ophiura said. There is no reason in a healthy tank to keep your SG any lower than this since it tends to be more stressful for all livestock... just more so for inverts and corals.
I wouldn't even keep fish at lower saline levels if I didn't have a problem I was trying to use lower saline levels to help solve.