Yo

playa

Sweet that sounds pretty good. I don't think I will have any Coral for a while. And i'll correct my othe rpost I don't want cheap stuff. I just want Inexpensive stuff that wroks.

teresaq

look in the stuff for sale here. you can get used pretty cheap. you can buy one of those 29 gal kits from pet store for around 80 bucks. you wouldnt need much more equipment except
power head
sand
live rock
test kits
refractor
do not use the under gravel filter, and read read read.

playa

Yah that's what everyone is saying just read and research. And good news I'll be getting one soon! Now people are saying that this hobby is hard? Is it?

opus18

Hard isn't the word I'd choose... Compared to freshwater... yes, there is much more involvement. Just completed my weekly water check before a water change... My old freshwater tank... catch the fish, put them in a cup, drain the tank, take it outside so I can get a garden hose into it and clean all the crap out of the rocks... refill, put the fish back in... Cannot really do that with SW.

But the payoffs are soooooooo worth it...

playa

I didn't know you have to change the water weekly. My god!OR do you just refill your tank if the water is bad?

opus18

Some do weekly changes (5% of the water, not all of it)... Other monitor their nitrates and change when the levels rise... Some do 10% changes... I'm doing a 10% change, but about every other week... I check the water quality weekly. Didn't mean to scare you there...

playa

lol its okay I just started to freak a little bit!
so the equipment I need is
Filter
PUmp
LS
LR
and lights? Is that all I need to start?

wattsupdoc

Water changes vary for each person. It has alot to do with you're setup. You can have a system where you rarely do waterchanges, if you're setup with great filtration, good water movement and a low bioload. Moniter you're levels and change when needed. Top off as you need to. There are alot of things you can have and some people will swear you have to have. Do you're research on here and elsewhere and you'll save some cash$$$$. Build it as you go will help also. The greater the water volume you have the less fluctuations in you're levels. 30 gallon IMO is a good starter tank, but you'll have to stay on top of it more.

C

cotti

Originally Posted by opus18
Some do weekly changes (5% of the water, not all of it)... Other monitor their nitrates and change when the levels rise... Some do 10% changes... I'm doing a 10% change, but about every other week... I check the water quality weekly. Didn't mean to scare you there...

It's funny you say that...i havn't done a water change yet, it's been 2 months...my lvls are safe...but then again all i have is 2 fish, snail, hermit and brittle starfish....but the water evaps so quickly that when I add water, i'm adding 1-2 gallons...which is equivalant to a 10% on a 30 gal i believe....risky, ironic or have you heard this before?

opus18

Originally Posted by cotti
It's funny you say that...i havn't done a water change yet, it's been 2 months...my lvls are safe...but then again all i have is 2 fish, snail, hermit and brittle starfish....but the water evaps so quickly that when I add water, i'm adding 1-2 gallons...which is equivalant to a 10% on a 30 gal i believe....risky, ironic or have you heard this before?
I top off the tank daily since I don't have an attached RO unit to do it for me...

I just watch the nitrate levels for my change indicator... I've just happened to do a 10% change twice with two weeks inbetween...

playa

I think I might get my tank as I go along. I'll probably get a 50-60 gal. Is that a good starter tank?

opus18

Whatever size your budget and patience can handle... Mine is a 46G Bowfront. With an oak stand was about $200

playa

Yes
I have like a $300 budget. It is nice when your parents best friend is a carpenter. I'll get my stand for free! But I just want a nice big starter tank.

S

surfinusa

55 gallons are excellent bigginer tanks sometimes you find a complete set up with the lights filters and some more things for about 250 dollars

S

surfinusa

Originally Posted by playa
Sweet that fits perfectly into my budget!
but you must look very carefully check on craigslist.com and you can find free tanks and lots of other things like free saltwater setup with every thing