You Don't Need To Use Damsels To Cycle Your Tank!!!!!

alyssia

Originally Posted by iameeeyore
We actually intended to cycle with damsels, but the fish store told us to skip the damsels and use a clownfish, so that's what we did (i know, i know I'm a horrible, horrible person). We've since added 2 damsels, and all the fish seemed to survive the cycle beautifully. I don't understand why damsels are so controversial. I personally think they're very diverse, colorful fish. Our clownfish does have a bit more personality, and the yellow tail can be somewhat tempermental, but overall I'm quite pleased with my happy lil fishy family.

chipmaker

Originally Posted by Old Yeller Tang
I'm cycling my 200g as we speak by doing what Fat_Ed did, using dsb with ls activator and lots of lr. After 5days everything looks good already and I'll hopefully be adding my livestock in this weekend.

Well your method is certainly IMNSHO one of the best ways possible to cycle a tank...Depend on the LR/LS...Only difference is I would not have used any activator.... but the results are the same no critters damaged or killed or stressed in the process and it will be a fully cycled tank so much quicker and much more stabile overall.

agent707

Hmmm... I cycled my tank with a shrimp. THEN I put 2 blue damsels in my tank. They are staying in too. I just happen to like them.
So maybe the two I got were victums of a tank cycle before? I doubt it. But they are in home sweet home now. And will be well taken care of.
So not everyone hates damsels. ***)
Gill and Mopy (gill = Damsel)

brendac

I used 3 raw shrimp to cycle my 125g and it took close to 3 weeks... Its all done now. I had 157 pounds of LR and Sand... but my sand is not live. I agree about not using damsels or any other kind of fish for that matter... poor things they dont ask to suffer like that.

nygel

i used damsels to cycle, but i planned on keeping them, and it was the very end of the cycle, liek teh next day it was over... just my half a cent

hook

my lfs gave me some bottled bacteria. i dosed the tank, had the lfs check my water, everything came out perfect. also, i bought the tank used and already set up from someone else... i check my nitrites, trates, and ammonia every 3 days or so... all is well :) i like my damsels (i have a sergeant major?, two 3 stripe, and one blue chromis) and they get along with my huma huma just fine...

mrdc

I used damsels and now I am trying to get rid of them. I went with LFS advice which was my mistake and I did not know that they would be so aggressive. If I ever do an aggressive tank, I plan to add some damsels (not for cylcing but for show) because there are some pretty cool looking ones out there and they are cheap. When (if) I ever do another tank, I will do soooo many things differently than I did with my first tank.

cgrant

I have always used damsels to cycle my tanks and have had very good luck with them.
But i do agree that a shrimp or LR is a better way to cycle a tank, and if need be will probably do that in the future.
As far as cruelty to damsels goes have you ever seen what a damsel can do to other fish in a tank? They are mean as he!!
I had a damsel that fin niped half of my powder browns fin off :mad:
So i threw him in my 210 and my puffers took care of his ---!
I'm prob gonna get flamed for this but IMO damsels are nothing but saltwater rats!
Had nothing but bad experiences with them!

hook

Originally Posted by CGRANT
I have always used damsels to cycle my tanks and have had very good luck with them.
But i do agree that a shrimp or LR is a better way to cycle a tank, and if need be will probably do that in the future.
As far as cruelty to damsels goes have you ever seen what a damsel can do to other fish in a tank? They are mean as he!!
I had a damsel that fin niped half of my powder browns fin off :mad:
So i threw him in my 210 and my puffers took care of his ---!
I'm prob gonna get flamed for this but IMO damsels are nothing but saltwater rats!
Had nothing but bad experiences with them!
my trigger ate one of my damsels... the damsel was trying to pick on him and the next day i turned on the tank lights and saw half a damsel on the tank floor... Awesome!

cgrant

Originally Posted by Hook
my trigger ate one of my damsels... the damsel was trying to pick on him and the next day i turned on the tank lights and saw half a damsel on the tank floor... Awesome!

readster

i've got a 55 gal, with 2 bio wheels, i just set up my new tank, and put 2 small triggers, a spotted puffer, and three 3 striped damels, and i will use these fish to cycle my tanks, the bio wheels are so efficient, that my tank will cycle, and my fish will not even notice it much, my .02.

K

kalied20

Everyone will probably have a fit about this...but my nano's that I have cycled in about a week. I got fully cured live rock and some live sand from the ocean. The cycle time is great reduced when you use fully cured rocks. The SPIKE was almost insignificant. I actually just cycled a 20 gallon in 6 days and placed my sick gramma in there by himself to heal away from the main tank.

alyssia

Originally Posted by kalied20
Everyone will probably have a fit about this...but my nano's that I have cycled in about a week. I got fully cured live rock and some live sand from the ocean. The cycle time is great reduced when you use fully cured rocks. The SPIKE was almost insignificant. I actually just cycled a 20 gallon in 6 days and placed my sick gramma in there by himself to heal away from the main tank.

I won't have a fit about it. That is how I cycled my seahorse tank.