you ever stop to think...

team2jndd

What will be left for the next generation.
Im listening to bob seger right now and had guns and roses in earlier. Thats the kind of music that listening to actually has some feeling to it. I dont see the next generation popping in P-diddy and going ahhhhh now thats a classic. Anybody else wonder what music will be like in 10-15 years? I'm scared.
night moves...

mike22cha

Rock/Alt. will always be a classic IMO. And I have wondered, what kind of music would my kids be listening to, would they appreciate the music I like.
I can't see a lot of rap going done as classics either.

jennythebugg

i think unless it's a huge rap hit like gangstas paradise or like some rundmc or the likes, but if you have a close relationship with your kids they end up liking what you like -my dad listened to classical and rock music so i like it too- i added punk/alternative and folk/indie rock and my kids like it too- we listen to the cure , beatles ,dead kennedys,indigo girls,chopin,the ist goes on and on . i have heard that rap is dying out...thank god because i think rap and the thug lifestyle is whats making american society degrade at such a rapid rate.

tangman99

I have a mixture. I love the classic 80's rock that I grew up with but I also like Nickelback and Greenday. Some of those will probably be around but not the extent that the 80's bands are today. Many of them are still touring.

team2jndd

But, do you think future generations will still listen to guns and roses and billy joel and the sort? I know I will be. I just wonder if people will look at me the way I would look at somebody listening to frank cinatra or something.

jennythebugg

well yeah they probably would if you ride the su
ay humming welcome to the jungle or something like that face it we are all going to be old farts one day and the way to keep our music alive is by introducing the youngsters to it
...alltime favorite gnr song ...patience ..yeaaah ...yeah-hehe

mike22cha

My dad likes big band, frank cinatra.
But I like Green Day, U2, All American Rejects, The Killers, and the list goes on but totaly oppisite from my dad's taste in music.

jmick

Originally Posted by team2jndd
But, do you think future generations will still listen to guns and roses and billy joel and the sort? I know I will be. I just wonder if people will look at me the way I would look at somebody listening to frank cinatra or something.
Good thread! I think the problem is that pop music is rammed down our throats (the likes of

[hr]
, P-diddy, J-lo, Pussy cat Dolls and ect) and the problem is that this music is soooooo processed and altered that it has no heart or soul, it's made by large record co's to make money and that's it. I have no idea where music is going and I fear we will see more and more of this and if a band is not seen as a major money maker it will not be made. It's sad when someone can't even sing their own music at their concert or show and they need to lipsync it.
I grew up on the Stones, The Doors, Zepplin, GnR, Metallica and moved into Punk (Ranic, Bad Religion, older Green day) and I see little music like this being put out now. I am happy to say, the only music my little boy really gets into is Johnny Cash!

ruaround

put it inperspective... each generation has their own music and some of the people in that generation go back for the golden oldies... but there are still bands that shine...
if you listen to Alternative Rock there are a bunch of bands that are lasting more than a song...
look at the 70's and 80's and how many one hit wonders there were... and how many great bands lasted... then the 90's... now its the 00's...
IMO if it werent for great rock bands there wouldnt be a rapper out there that didnt have a drum beat, bass line or a guitar rif to sample... they ARENT original... only the lyrics... rappers = artists... i think NOT!!!

autofreak44

hey im the future generation and i listen to guns and roses, bob marley, the beatles, nirvana, all kinds of new and altern. rock and rap... i just listen to what sounds good

ruaround

Originally Posted by autofreak44
hey im the future generation and i listen to guns and roses, bob marley, the beatles, nirvana, all kinds of new and altern. rock and rap... i just listen to what sounds good
how can you be a "future generation" if youre already alive... lol...

and to all its Guns N' Roses...

grips

Originally Posted by ruaround
IMO if it werent for great rock bands there wouldnt be a rapper out there that didnt have a drum beat, bass line or a guitar rif to sample... they ARENT original... only the lyrics... rappers = artists... i think NOT!!!

I don't agree with this statement. There is actually a small movement of very talented hip-hop ARTISTS (Atmosphere, EL-P, Eyedea, Aesop Rock, etc.) that don't use samples. They actually make their music from scratch. It's just sad that everyones vision of hip-hop music is P-Diddy, Lil' Jon, 50-cent, and all the other unoriginal crap artists played on the radio.
Also, most sample based rap uses samples from old jazz albums (not rock) P-diddy was the one that started taking all of the rock samples. Most of the rap you hear on the radio now isn't sample based. A lot of it is made by hired musicians or on sequencing keyboards.
Keep in mind that when I was in high school, i was listening to

[hr]
punk (Minor Threat, Black Flag, DRI, Circle Jerks). I give all music a chance before forming an opinion on it. There is good music being made, you just can't find it on the radio.
My current favorites: Bright Eyes, Silversun Pick-ups, Fiona Apple, Amy Whinehouse, Beck, Band of Horses, Built To Spill, Damien Rice, Jack Johnson, Atmosphere, Deftones, John Mayer, Modest Mouse, Sage Francis, The Decemberists, The Shins, EL-P, and Ween.

cowfishrule

Originally Posted by ruaround
as an active musician, i have to strongly disagree. all rap/rock can be traced back to early jazz and or blues. whether you are manually making your music, or digitally making it, it all comes from somewhere.
will a rapper remember how to play "hotel california" or "erruption" ? not on your life. in retrospect, would EVH or Don Henley remember all the words to "straight outta compton" ? not on your life.
rappers lips are a rockers fingers.
now- as for both "genres" if you will, there is nothing but commercialized garbage out there. if you want good hip hop or rock, you have to dig around the internet world to find it. sure the new 50 or green day song sounds catchy with its 4-chord progression, but nowadays, its it about quality? nope- you want something that is catchy, because people arent going to listen and buy albums if its not.
real rock died in the early 80's and has never seen light again. if you want real hip hop, it has to be anything before 1996. that was the year hip hop went down the toilet.

mike22cha

I have to disagree with cowfish. I really enjoy alt./rock and most of it I don't like the words, but enjoy the drums and guitar. I don't really care for lyrics, but I do enjoy the music. I think that the 80's rock and todays rock are still both rock and I enjoy both, just different styles.

pontius

if you need proof that society is steadily "dumbing down", you need only to look at the movies that top the box office and the music that tops the charts. 12 years ago, movies like "Pulp Fiction", "Dances with Wolves", and "Shawshank Redemption" were the big box office draws. today, it's "Knocked Up", "40 Year Old Virgin", "Spiderman 3". back then, the album charts were ruled by classic albums by the likes of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden. even artists that I don't particularly like, like Rage Against the Machine, at least it was "smart". now, it's "dumb" "music by numbers" like Nickelback and Good Charlotte.
as far as rock music, the last "smart" rock that made it into the mainstream has been System of a Down, Tool, and Modest Mouse.
I agree with those saying that for the most part, rap is uninventive. however, those such as Outcast, Dr Dre, Eminem, etc will always be seen as classic because they are actually inventive outside of sampling off other people and the lyrics are smart.
and it's not just rock and rap....country music has been dumbed down too. they should be ashamed to call the stuff they play "country". Johnny Cash and Patsy Cline would roll over in their graves to hear what passes for "country" nowadays.

ruaround

wow was my opinion misinterpreted... it has been a long time since i have heard a song on the radio from the rap genre that doesnt have another song sampled... just the other day i heard "we dont have to take our clothes off" remixed and new lyrics added... this is not original to me...

pontius

Originally Posted by COWFISHRULE
real rock died in the early 80's and has never seen light again. if you want real hip hop, it has to be anything before 1996. that was the year hip hop went down the toilet.
want to elaborate on those statements?

reefreak29

yes i do , u are what? 18 so you are the next generation and your listening to it. my 15 year old nephew listens to pink floyd. people will alays listen to the good stuff

grips

Originally Posted by Pontius
if you need proof that society is steadily "dumbing down", you need only to look at the movies that top the box office and the music that tops the charts. 12 years ago, movies like "Pulp Fiction", "Dances with Wolves", and "Shawshank Redemption" were the big box office draws. today, it's "Knocked Up", "40 Year Old Virgin", "Spiderman 3".

What about The Departed, Crash, American Beauty, Ray, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? There have been many intelligent movies in the last 12 years.
Do you remember the huge action movie blitz in the 80's? Stallone, Van Damme, Schwarzenegger, Segal? I wouldn't exactly call these movies intelligent, but they were topping the box office. They must have been dumbing down in the 80's too.
I think everything cycles. I'm hoping that music is going to have a huge influx of brilliant records soon. Maybe this "clubbing" rap crap is just the disco of the 00's.