You want to fix this country or make it better?

darthtang aw

It would be real simple. I have thought on this a long time. All we need to do is remove party names...
No conservatives, liberals, democrats, Republicans, Libertarians, or independents.
You remove that and you force people to run and vote on issues instead of party lines.
You also force people to pay attention to candidates actions and words instead of their party.
Your thoughts?

windmill

That would mean people would have to really think......
Never gonna happen.
Good idea though. I remember this old person I knew who used to vote "All republican" no matter what. She mentioned these options you could choose when voting - one of them was a box you could check that would automatically vote for every republican available. She wasn't known to be the smartest person on the block.

triga22

I think that it should stay the same but the real truth should come out, and to vote you need to know about who your voting for. My moms friend was voting democrat all her life and my mom talked to her and now she is repub.

pontius

I agree, or at least have 4 or 5 parties that are equal. also, ban campaign contributions from large industries such as......oil companies, insurance companies, drug companies, teacher's unions, labor unions, etc etc etc. campaign contributions should come from individuals or not at all.
and yeah, there should be some kind of basic test that is given before people are allowed to vote.

ruaround

how about no campaigning AT ALL... only debates of all candidates bi-weekly for 2 years and the questions come from registered voters only... not a one sided media... money shouldnt buy elected postions...

windmill

Now, all you gotta do is find a politician who doesn't care about money or what society thinks about them.
You might have better luck wishing one.

jmick

Originally Posted by ruaround
how about no campaigning AT ALL... only debates of all candidates bi-weekly for 2 years and the questions come from registered voters only... not a one sided media... money shouldnt buy elected postions...
I agree with this and think that'd be very interesting. The problem you have when big money rules the campaign is that in the end the common man (you and I) do not become the ultimate constituent the rich is the main consituent being taken care of (after all, the rich keep getting richer and the poor poorer).
I'd rather enjoy seeing a politican elected who can relate to the common american become the next leader of our country and not someone who grew up in the lap of luxury with every advantage at his disposal. It seems to me that the largest and most important segment of our country is often forgotten about.

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by Jmick
I agree with this and think that'd be very interesting. The problem you have when big money rules the campaign is that in the end the common man (you and I) do not become the ultimate constituent the rich is the main consituent being taken care of (after all, the rich keep getting richer and the poor poorer).
I disagree with this statement. Studies from a congressional bi-partisan commitee have proven since 2001 till this year, the lower class has increased their income level by 80% compared to the middle and upper classes 40% increase...everyone is getting richer...the poor are actually seeing the largest percentage increase...

jovial

I think political descriptions are a way to classify belief systems. Currently is seems like a lack of $$$ keeps a lot of good people from running.

autofreak44

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
I disagree with this statement. Studies from a congressional bi-partisan commitee have proven since 2001 till this year, the lower class has increased their income level by 80% compared to the middle and upper classes 40% increase...everyone is getting richer...the poor are actually seeing the largest percentage increase...
and everything keeps getting more expensive.... but not 80% more expensive so your right

earlybird

ban lobbying. People vote and create laws would be best but very difficult to do.
Random thought that I believe in... Force kids to play dodgeball, head shots allowed.

seasalt101

let parents properly discipline there children not abuse but this time-out thing is not working kids today, not all but a lot of them show no respect for anyone...tobin

jmick

Originally Posted by seasalt101
let parents properly discipline there children not abuse but this time-out thing is not working kids today, not all but a lot of them show no respect for anyone...tobin
As a parent I agree 100%! When I was a kid and I did something I should not have done I would get spanked and for the most part I didn't do the same thing twice.

reefreak29

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
ok did u put into effect that inflation has gone up about that much as well yeh im making 50 percent more then i did in 2001 but i was able to pay my bills much easier in 2001, and 80 percent of 5 bucks an hout is 9 bucks big deal

ruaround

AMEN BROTHER!!! time outs work for some... but there are kids that use that time to plot more trouble... a good ol' fasioned paddling always made me think twice before i did something...

reefreak29

is it against the law to spank? man im in alot of trouble

ruaround

Originally Posted by reefreak29
is it against the law to spank? man im in alot of trouble
in some countries it is... there is a fine line between discipline and abuse... and there are lawyers and rights activists out there that love to find that line...

jennythebugg

my dad spanked us with a board that had spare the rod spoil the child carved into it
we didnt dare do it twice... it still hangs on their wall so the grandchildren all tow the line too

reefreak29

Originally Posted by jennythebugg
my dad spanked us with a board that had spare the rod spoil the child carved into it
we didnt dare do it twice... it still hangs on their wall so the grandchildren all tow the line too

yep my dad had a 2x2 with my name on one side and my sisters on the other