You wont believe he ate this.....

areijin

I giant Green Brittle Star ate my Haitin Anemone.:scared: I got the Anemone last week and he has been moving around. Then this morning I notice my star is unusually got of hiding and as he moves away I see the bright orange foot of my Haitin under him.:mad: I tried to save him but it was too late. I ended up taking him out and putting him in my sump but in the process broke two of his legs.

I didn't even know they would do that. He's been nothing but trouble, eating all my shrimp. So I guess I'm happy that I can have shrimp again butr I just can't belive he ate a whole anmome.

X

xnikki118x

Wow!! I remember when I caught my chocolate chip star eating a mushroom colony, but I'd think that an anemone would be able to get away a little bit faster! That's crazy...wow.

dragonboy

well isn't starfish or anenome not good to have it in a reeftank cause they tend to know over things or climb over corals where they can damage or even eat them.

areijin

WOW. I just found my Anemome.:happy: My Brittle Star must have spit him out. ZI was just checking my star in my sump and there was my Anemome. He has some dammage but maybe he'll make it. I hope so and to think I have going to get rid of my star that very day.

areijin

No I didn't feed the Anemome. As a matter of fact I feed my star in addition to the cleaning he is supposed to do, since he is so big. I have pics of my star in another thread if you lookup my screen name AREIJIN. I think it was named something "monster....."

ophiura

"Cleaning"
...I really hate that part.
Sure, they'll go after excess food in the tank. But we have a lot of cleaners in the tank, and try not to put a lot of food in. Their instinct is to grow large and reproduce, and they won't wait around until someone feeds the tank if there is something else for them to eat in the mean time. That is the risk of keeping wild animals I am afraid. We don't know everything the are capable of...
Unfortunately, we know the green brittlestar is a predator in the wild. Not all will display this in captivity, but it is a normal behavior I'm afraid.