Young and Inexpereanced. Please help.

fretfreak13

Ok, so for the "pure water". Is it alright if I have a few just of de-chlorinated tap sitting around until I need them, or is that bad to use? Also, thanks for taking the time to type all that out, big help. Also, for power heads, dont you need the undergravel filter grate thing too? I head somewhere that that can harm the backteria. Are you talking about something else?
And thanks Neil, I think the Emeralds are the most interesting looking anyways =)

d-man

dam kid your going to go from noob to expert in no time asking questions like this, that's sweet. you should post pics as you go, I think your probably going to make a good tank and people could benefit from a kids point of view in this hobby

king_neptune

Originally Posted by Fretfreak13
http:///forum/post/3096096
Ok, so for the "pure water". Is it alright if I have a few just of de-chlorinated tap sitting around until I need them, or is that bad to use? Also, thanks for taking the time to type all that out, big help. Also, for power heads, dont you need the undergravel filter grate thing too? I head somewhere that that can harm the backteria. Are you talking about something else?
And thanks Neil, I think the Emeralds are the most interesting looking anyways =)
Those tabs are a bad Idea. There is an old member hear that lost an 800gallon dream reef because he used tap water in a pinch. Instead of waiting 3days to make his own. The main reason was he used "TAbs" like you got...it backfired, and his was considerably more expensive than yours.
Google Oregon Reef if you would like to learn more about his system. Its the first hit. Possibly one of the nicest systems I have ever seen in a home.
Powerheads yes, under gravel no. POwerheads are basicly propellers that push water in whatever direction you point it.
Under gravel is for freshwater filtration, and although I have seen them used in saltwater...its a bad IDEA! Micro bubbles!
For powerheads: your looking to get something in the $30-50 dollar price range. A pair of good korrilas, one in each corner will be plenty good for your tank. Shop around craigs list...it may take a couple weeks, but you will find them I promise. Or you can put a "Want ADD" for used equipment. List the kinds of things you want.
Emeralds are a good choice. For the most part they are docil...but if they start getting hungry, they turn aggressive.
Keep them fed by not over populating your tank with them, they are great algea eaters. I would say start out with one, and later on down the line...if you feel comfortable...then get a second. To put it in perspective...im putting three in my 125DT as a part of my Clean up crew.

alix2.0

Fret- welcome to the board. good to see another local kid on here. Have you checked out any local clubs? i am a member of C-Sea which holds its meetings on the third friday of every month at the Celeveland Zoo. you should check out the next meeting, i believe it is september (we take the summer off, not sure if its august or september this year...) its a great group of people, very knowledgable & helpful.

fretfreak13

Wow that is one HELL of a tank! When I win the lotery, I'll have a few of thoe pretty 800 gals =) Im gonna go check craigs list now. Iv'e heard of it before, but never used it for anything (people at work love looking at it when theres nothing to do). I'll tell my dad about it, he's really the only supportive parent I have at the moment, where sadly I live with just my mom so her and I butt heads a lot about my tanks and all the other animals I bring in the house. Thanks for all the help guys, if I have any more questions, I'll PM you possibly?
Also, I'll check out that club soon. Sounds like something I'd be interested in. =) Maybe I'll see you at that meeting.