Young percs with growth.

I have had two percs that are about 3/4 inch for three weeks. I noticed about a week ago that one has a "cotton ball" looking growth on one gill. Today I noticed a smaller but similar growth on the back below the tail of the other. The tank has a six line wrasse and lr with mushrooms. Clean up crew, pepermint shrimp and a cleaner shrimp. Water looks good, percs act fine, eating ect. These were "tank raised". I do 15% wc once a week. I was thinking it was damge turning the transfer, but now I do not know.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Are they eating? How is their color and behavior? Is the "cotton ball" actually a growth, or a discoloration of the skin?
Can you get a pic up?
What are your water readings?

They are eating like hungry little clowns, cruising the tank relentlesly. They are definately growths, the first one on his head is getting larger, and turning a hint of pink. It looks like two or three little cotton balls bigger than a piece of sand protruding from his head on the white stripe. Now that I look their is another good size white dot on its head in the black area, new today. I do not have QT set up, I do have 3 gallons of water than I have been putting air through, I also could probably dip, they are very friendly.

Nothing like the ich I have seen before, I have been keeping fish for 20 years and salt for two. I do not think this is ich, no scratching, seriously this thing prtrudes 5mm from the skin, can ich do that?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know what these "growths" could be. Very strange that both have it. Why do you have ammonia? That could be a part of the problem.
Can you get a pic up on the percs?

Don't know why I have ammonia, maybe because I am due for a wc, but the 3 gallons I made up I have left ageing, thinking I may need to make a poor amns QT 50% tank water 50% new. I can not get a pick. on "ree cenrtal online" there seems to be a consensus that it is a fungus if cotton like. ANd fish should beQted for a week with meloncite green. So what do you thinlk. Their is also virus that starts wih a L, that it could be??

Have been told through reef central this is fungus and so now they are in a 5 gallon hospital bucket. I am using rid ich which has the "green" in it. The fungus has seemed to stop growing but is still their. Behavior the same, it has been 3 days.