your favorite thing about a lfs

ross

What is yalls favorite thing about a lfs, it can be cheap fish, quarantined fish, clean shop, smart staff, etc. The 1 or 2 things that keep bringing you back.

H

havunen191

The kid's they hire that have no clue which corals are which. :joy: I have save alot of money that way!

grumpygils

Originally Posted by Ross
What is yalls favorite thing about a lfs, it can be cheap fish, quarantined fish, clean shop, smart staff, etc. The 1 or 2 things that keep bringing you back.

They satisfy my frequent impulse buys!
Mc

chipmaker

The owner and staff actually know what they are talking about and will not sell you something you do not need just to make a sale. All they deal in is saltwater.......no fresh water anything, no puppies, no birds, no lizzards and snakes.No tons of all kinds of products, just products that have proven themselves. Does not even carry flake food. Saltwter fish keeping is a lifelong passion of this shops owner.....

grumpygils

Originally Posted by chipmaker
The owner and staff actually know what they are talking about and will not sell you something you do not need just to make a sale. All they deal in is saltwater.......no fresh water anything, no puppies, no birds, no lizzards and snakes.No tons of all kinds of products, just products that have proven themselves. Does not even carry flake food. Saltwter fish keeping is a lifelong passion of this shops owner.....

Tell him (LFS) to open a store in NC!
Mc

jacknjill

grumpygils, Pet and Hobby off of Reynolda Rd is pretty good. A little pricey, but they are very knowledgeable. Huge 650-800 gallon (dont remember exactly, but HUGE) reef display tank in the middle of their store.

jumpfrog

One of my LFS will not, ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT, sell a fish that he hasn't had for at least 14 days. I've never lost a fish that I bought from him.
Caring for the animals over the quick sale is probably the most notable trait to me.

J

jcrim

My favorite thing about the LFS is that I can examine all the fish and have it fed before taking it home. IMO selecting the right specimin is 1/2 the battle in keeping a healthy tank.

lion_crazz

Wow, I can't believe that a lot of people are actually complimenting their LFS. That is good to see.

I like LFS who only hire knowledgable people to work in the fish room. I know of a couple in my area that I would say that of. And I have to agree with jcrim. I like the fact that you can see the fish eat before you take it home.

yimmy

My LFS is awesome...they sell premixed water, quarantine their fish for 4 weeks, and are extremely helpful,knowlegable and don't try to sell you stuff you don't need. When I got my tank they took 3hrs to explain the plumbing to me and made sure I understood it. They do custom installations and deliver the tank for 500$ (set up and plumbing) and the guy offered to come over to help me plumb it. The LFS helps me to resist impulse buys...I saw a Blue Spotted Jawfish(cost like 129) on sale for 18.99! I said I have to get it, the guy actually said I should wait (day after I bought my clowns) and he said if I wanted he would put it on hold. Their simply amazing with the amount of respect they show. I have actually walked into a LFS and they told me not to get into the hobby and tried to sell me gold fish food for my clowns ( I thought the guy was on drugs). I like how they actually show respect to a 14 year old unlike most stores which make you empty out your pockets.

fisherson

the last time i was at my LFS i told the guy he gave me sundial snails and flat worms...he told me sundial snails don't ever really hurt Zoa's and that i shouldn't worry about the flatworms and that they don't need to be worried about....BUT the best thing is....when you ask a question just to hear the stupid answers your going to get. that's my favorite.

swfreak

Rob's Reef is the poo. Any questions that I have I can ask him and he explains everything. They just got a bigger shop and I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's done. Then there is AquaZoo, I go in and BS with the gusy there alot. Plus they have everything that I need there.